It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Question Is this normal for a toddler?

My daughter is almost 2 and lately whenever I change her bum or when she goes for a bath she will start to freak out and grab her privates. Like yesturday I was giving her a bath she held herself the entire time and kept saying poo poo. I thought that she really had to go so we had a quick bath but she never did go poo. Everytime I change her she starts to cry and says yuck poo poo. Most often she just pees and I coorect her and say no it's pee. But I just can't get over how much she is protecting her private area her hand is over it until the diaper is replaced. Is this normal? I just don't understand this at all. I want to start potty training her but the way she is acting I just don't know how well she will respond, or does this mean that she is ready? I am just so lost.

Thanks,
SL

Old 01-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Is this normal for a toddler?

DS is 20 months old and he's always grabbing his privates. But just figured it was a boy thing 'cuz he's not upset about it. He recently discovered passing gas and gets a little worried that he's pooping, so he's said poop poop while I've been bathing him. I usually just drag the potty chair near the tub and if he gets upset, starts making bubbles, I pull him out and set him on the potty. He's gone on it twice. Last time he waited until after his bath. Just figured he's finally starting to make the connection.

When he has gone in the potty chair, he's gotten very very upset. And then we praise him and show him what he did. Then he's usually okay with it. Think the idea of pooping without a diaper still kinda freaks him out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Sherri-Lynn, is your daughter constipated? Is she having regular, soft BM's? Sounds to me like she might be holding in her BM's and is having some discomfort as a result.

In any case, I most definitely would NOT think about toilet training at least until this phase passes. Personally, I think that she's too young for any serious toilet training anyway. Maybe setting out a potty chair and letting her sit on it when she wants, but I wouldn't pressure her to use it at this age. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

No she is not constipated. Actually on Thursday she went poo in the potty. I think she was just curious about her body. So now we are in the process of potty training. She always wants to be naked now and sit on the potty. Thanks, and wish us luck with the potty.

Closed Thread