It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

curious1979 HB User
(((Please Help)))

Hey there. Me again. I have another question. My daughter will be 3 in March and will not sleep in her own bed in her own room. At first she slept in with hubby and I for a few months, then we tried getting her to sleep in her own bed again. She wouldn't do it. I sat her down and told her that she was getting to be a big girl and that she should sleep in her own Big GIrl Bed. I tell her that we don't have enough room in the bed anymore (I am pregnant and I hardly have room!) Well, she took it upon herself to bring in her little fold out chair. It is her "cot" and she sleeps on that on our bedroom floor every night. She knows she isn't allowed to sleep in our bed, so I guess she figures this is the next best thing. She is excited about her soon to be baby sister and wants to share her room with Torri...I am thinking she will sleep in there is someone else is with her. I am just frustrated. I want her to sleep in her room. Hubby and I don't get any privacy. Oh, she is not afraid of the dark either. We have tried putting a night light in her room, a TV, a canopy over her bed. Any suggestions? Help......

Laura

Old 01-26-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Re: (((Please Help)))

I just saw this on SuperNanny. I mean actual footage so I know this works. Here's what they did. The boy is 2 years old and climbs out of his crib and cries for hours when put to bed. The nanny told them to get a routine and stick to it as #1. Give him a bath, brush his teeth, read a story. Then lights out. Put him in his crib. and then sit down in front of the crib - sideways - so you do NOT make eye contact but so he can still see you. If he gets out of the crib, get up and still not making eye contact, pick him up and put him gently back in the crib. You may be tempted to say something or look at him or even to go comfort him - don't! This mom was just about to give up and the nanny, watching from outside the room, sensed it and went in and sat down next to the mother. Finally the child feel asleep - it took 45 minutes. You are to continue this procedure and as the child gets calmer, you are to inch your way - sideways - out the door, until he falls asleep. The next night only took 25 minutes for child to fall asleep.

The nanny left the house to observe how the parents handled the new rules and routines she had instilled. It was the father's turn to put the 2 year old to bed. He goes in and lights up this really bright night light - then gives the child a musical bear in his crib! the nanny was flipping out. 45 minutes later, the child was still awake. She went back the next day and told the father he totally overstimulated the child.

Try this - let us know if it works! I wish I would have known to try this when my two sons were little! good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 05:19 AM   #3
(female)

curious1979 HB User
Question Re: (((Please Help)))

My daughter hasn't slept in a crib since she was 14 months, she has a toddler bed. Do you think this may still work?

Laura

Old 01-27-2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Re: (((Please Help)))

I would say so because the child was able to get out of the crib just like your daughter is able to get out of her bed. good luck! Lord knows we all need our sleep and it seems imperative that you get this resolved before your new baby arrives. You could try telling your daughter (during the day) how proud her new baby sister would be of her if she slept in her own room just like she (the new baby) does. You do plan on putting the baby in her own room right away don't you? I know for my first, we both slept downstairs so he slept in the bassinet so I could nurse him as I was healing from a c-section. As soon as I was able to he got right into his own room. Kids do what they're taught. If you let things happen, they wonder why they have to stop. You just have to get them into a new habit.

Closed Thread