It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 04:32 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User
Spoiling baby?

Just need some advice! How young do you think a baby can become spoiled? Gabby is 2 weeks old now and sleeping really well But when she's awake she wants to be held. I really don't mind cause I want her to have all the love and attention she wants but I don't want to be making a rod for my own back. I always pictured having a baby the would happily lay on a blanket or under a playmat, but how old are they when they usually start doing this? Im picturing myself trying to do housework with a baby tucked under one arm lol. Any advice or feedback would be great!
Thnx P.J.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Spoiling baby?

You CAN'T spoil them in the first 8 months or so IMO. They simply aren't old enough to understand manipulation. Sure she cries b/c she wants to be held, but that is just because she wants to be close to you. She isn't aware of much at this age, but she is aware that she depends on you for everything, and just feels more secure with you. So hold and cuddle your baby all you want. My son was held CONSTANTLY, even to sleep, for the first 6 months of his life. He wanted it that way. Then he started crawling and couldn't bear to be held anymore. LOL.

Some of them are older when they develop their independent streak, but it will come all too soon. I don't think you have to worry about a 2 or 3 year old wanting to be held all the time!!! LOL. I just don't think you can spoil them by love and cuddling at any age. My son is 18 months, and whenever he wants to be held (b/c it's such a rare thing) I scoop him up and hold him close. Because it's good for both of us!

As for getting stuff done, I remember!!! The excersaucer was a life saver for us, as my son loved to be upright and to bounce up and down. They have to be able to hold their backs and head straight before they can use them, though. Do you have a bouncer with a toy bar? Cal never liked his, but some moms find them great. It's just hard at her age because they don't really know how to entertain themselves. That might last quite a while!
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 01-27-2005 at 06:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi PJ I agree with Siren, enjoy this time while you can LOL
My son is 12 weeks old and I have a bouncer with the toy bar and also a swing which has teddies hanging over it, so if I need to get things done I just pop him in one of them But on that note I have my 16 month old daughter hanging off of me as well LOL but thankfully when we are having a good day she plays with her toys or watches tv, so I do manage to get some house work done, but some days VERY LITTLE LOL. Honestly hun enjoy this time while you can because it goes by so quickly. The housework can wait LOL By the way we have a thread going OCTOBER/NOVEMBER mommies that you are more than welcome to join and come in and ask any questions you may have, there isnt that much age difference between our bubs By the way thanks for replying to my other thread, have you had a chance to ask your sister how she dealt with her son ?
Oh and just quicky do you have one of them baby pouches that you can attach to yourself and put bubs in that ? I have one of them and they are great for when bubs just wont let you put them down , and you have to get things done. They can be a little awkward at the kitchen sink doing dishes LOL , but I swear by mine
Anyway must go feed Adam, and CUDDLE AWAY

Old 01-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

Thank you guys sooo much for your advice! It's great to be reassured that I'm doing this Mommy thing right! I thought I was paranoid while I was preggie lol
Gabby seems to think her swing is ok, but not for long lol after a bit she's like "hey wait a minute I'm awake and your not holding me! what's going on?"
I'm deffinatly gonna invest in one of thoose carry pouches, it'll be soo much easier when I take the dog out for walks instead of her pram.
Haleysmum: I asked my sis and replyed in the other post, don't think it'll be too much help sorry! And thanx for the invite to oct/nov mommies, I dunno what's happened to all the dec/jan mommies and it'll be great to have somewhere to ask all my millions of questions

Old 02-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

I know sometimes you need a break and do want a baby that will lay happily on a playmat. They grow so fast and before you know it they don't want to be held. I say that if they want to be held, hold them. When they get older you will be wishing they were that little happy baby that wants nothing more but to be held in your arms.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I agree with the others. Hold her all you want both for her sake and for yours! Enjoy your baby!

Nancy

Closed Thread