It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

picksie HB User
Peeing in strange places indoors...

Okay, so my son is daytime potty trained but apparantly not housebroken lol

Saturday night, he peed in the bathtub (he was not taking a bath either), that afternoon he peed in our breezeway on the step to the kitchen door and yesterday I caught him peeing behind my daughter's bedroom door on some of her (thankfully old) shoes.

Has anyone had this problem while potty training their boys? I can't understand what the deal is, he has always liked to go outside (I think all boys do) but this is a new one on me....

Old 02-01-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Peeing in strange places indoors...

You know, I remember my little brother doing this at that age. He potty trained very early, before he was 2. But he would also pee in strange places and LOVED peeing outside. I always wondered if this was something little boys went through, almost like "marking their territory." LOL. Not sure at all, but it seems like it's a combination of rebellion, seeking independence, and experimentation (cause they can take aim and shoot. It really is kind of cool. LOL) Like they realize they have control over this one thing in their life, and they are going to do it when and where they want to do it. KWIM? They just realize "I don't HAVE to go in the potty if I don't want to! And noone can make me!" I don't really have any answer for you, but I can assure you that my brother is now 19 and only pees in the toilet. LOL. He did get into trouble in kindergarten for peeing down a drain in the bathroom floor at school instead of in the toilet. I seem to remember alot of little boys thinking it was funny. I don't know what to tell you for now, but I don't think he's abnormal, really. I really think he may just need some mild punishment, especially for the things like his sisters room, or when he causes damage or extra work for you. He's definitely old enough to know better.
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
(male)

MagicTouch HB User

Sorry to hear. We didn't have much trouble with our young daughter. We simply rewarded her with a cookie, and was stern with her, when she didn't use the potty. She caught on quickly.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
(male)

MagicTouch HB User

no...we used a time out approach we saw on this parenting video.

If your child acts up, you simply put them in the closet for 15 mins. Everytime the child talks, you add on 5 mins.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch
If your child acts up, you simply put them in the closet for 15 mins. Everytime the child talks, you add on 5 mins.
Literally? If so I couldn't even imagine!!! I think it would tramatize a child more then anything, but then again thats just my opinion and I'm sure I'm not alone on that!!!!

Last edited by beanie_1122; 02-01-2005 at 07:22 PM.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi I tend to agree with you beanie, locking in a cubhoard or closet is NOT a good idea at all. Yeah give a time out, ie in the corner or in their bedroom, but certainly not in a closet. That would just be terrifying to a young child
To the original poster, my son also done this when he was a little boy, cant tell you why sorry, but he did quickly grow out of it after a while. Sorry I cant offer better advice than that and good luck

Old 02-02-2005, 07:55 AM   #7
(female)

picksie HB User

Well, I am glad to hear that it does happen and that nothing is *wrong* with him. DD was a dream - never an accident and no strange habits LOL!

As for punishment, timeout is pretty effective but it is difficult to get him to stay put. I guess that's my next project - how to get him to DO a timeout. He is very strong willed, which will be great as an adult but it's sure making parenting a task LMAO!

I would never put my children into a closet - that's the stuff newspapers are made of. There are a lot of effective ways to discipline a child - I wouldn't even do that to my dogs.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #8
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

I seem to be the only guy here.. This is definetly a spell, I went through the same thing as a child. My sister had play tea sets and you can guess what I used them for. Once she found out what I done she never touched them again.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
(female)

motherof 3 HB User

well first i would like to repley on the closet thing , first i was told you never put the child in the corner for longer then ther age because kid forget if there five they get put in the corner or time out for five min and so on and so forth and put them in the closet it just crude and wrong i feel , as for the peeing my husband is 24 years old and he still rahter pee outside then in toitet and the same with his freind im still surpized that my son dont pee out side , my son was potty trained early and still has his time were he pees in his room i have change the carpet twice so far good thing it a small room , when my girl and son were young 2 and 1 years old they would rubb there po and the walls ewwwwww it got me very mad , i talked to there doctor they said it was normal , it was a haibit that they quickly got out of thank god , but my son being 3 still does the pee thing every blue moon he hasnt done it in a long time and when he does do it i just tell himm im going to put a diapier on him if he keeps it up and he tells me im a big boy i dont need a diapier it worked

Old 02-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

Wow.. that closet idea is scary. There's no way I would put my kid in a closet, not to mention for 15 minutes! Woah! I would rather get the spankings I got when I was little, lol. In my opinion that is still the way to go... it's fast, simple, and the kids make an instant connection of whats right and wrong. I was put in time out a couple times too, but that just gave me more time to think about what I am going to do next. So for me, spankings worked great and I didnt get them that often because I always remembered.. but every child is different I guess.

As for the peeing in different areas thing, I think it's totally normal. But to show them that what they are doing is wrong, you may want to try a small form of punishment. 1) Give them a towel and tell them to clean up thier mess (If it was done somewhere where it could be cleaned) 2) A quick tap on the butt 3) If you are one to use time out... try that (IF your kid wont stay in time out.. its time to learn a new punishment). I'm sure they'll grow out of it eventually... my cousin and I did, lol (I'm a girl by the way).

Last edited by 330exGirlOrl; 02-15-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Closed Thread