It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

maximillion HB User
Another baby?

I am a SAHM with an 8 month old. I have enjoyed staying home with my baby but it has been an adjustment. My husband and I have always said we wanted two children. I'm 34 years old and did not want to wait to long to have the second. But now I don't know if I can handle 2 children so close to the same age. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it and I know a lot of people do it. Some days I feel like I can handle it and other days I'm like NO WAY. Can anybody that has 2 children close in age give me some feed back? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Another baby?

Well, I had the same issue. I got pregnant with this baby two days after my son's first birthday. The closer and closer I get to my due date, the more I wonder if I can handle it. My son is a very active child and will be 21 months when I have this baby.

I had the same doubts, but I really just decided to go for it. My cousin has children who are 16 months apart, and I have neigbors who have kids who are 13 months apart, and they all managed just fine. I don't know how, exactly. It still seems daunting to me!

I guess I will be able to tell you a little more in a few months! But good luck with whatever you decide!
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi Max, I am also a SAHM, 36 years old with 2 babies aged 16 months and 13 weeks Yep I wont lie to you its hard sometimes..My daughter ( 16 month old ) has turned into a bit of a terror the past few weeks, but I honestly dont think its because of jelousy, I think its more her age! My son so far is perfect thank god LOL But as he gets older obviously he is getting a bit more demanding of my attention. Not that he didnt get it before LOL but when he was smaller, he slept so much of the time which was a godsend the way my daughter was acting up. But I will tell you I wouldnt change it for a thing in the whole world I am glad I have had them close together in age, at least they will grow up close. Of course I have my days where I want to tear my hair out by the roots LOL But just one smile from each of my babies just melts my heart and thank god that I have them Your still young anyway, you could wait another year or two and then have one, you dont have to do it right now My sister in law is like me, has 2 boys 13 months apart, they are now 3 and 2 and she is due to have a little girl in about 2.5 months, she is 38, so you still have plenty of time to think about it My hubby is actually going in for the big chop in a week, so no more babies for us, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have just one MORE lol. Anyway good luck with whatever decision you make hun

Old 02-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

julesj HB User

My first two are 19 months apart. (Now they are 7 & 8). It's true that it's physically harder when they're little: two in diapers, two to get dressed, two to chase after, interrupted sleep... But once you're through that, I think it's great. Mine are such good friends, even though they're different genders. They are great to their younger sibling, but they have a different, more special relationship with each other.

BTW, in MY opinion, going from 0 to 1 kids was a harder adjustment than 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc. Also, if you're not in a parenting group like a mom's club, I highly recommend finding one. Having that support (and other grown-ups to talk to!) is huge, especially when you have really little ones.

Good luck
jules

Last edited by julesj; 02-03-2005 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-03-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
(female)

Joey'smom HB User

I have 4 children (8,6,4,and 3 years old). I got pregnant with my 4th when my daughter was 6 months old. It was a oops. Best thing that has ever happened to me. My daughter and son are so close. It was hard the first year, but now I think it is easier as they have a constant companion.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
(female)

dallasmommy HB User

I am a sahm of 2- 3 yrs, and 20 mos. My little ones are 17 months apart. I can honestly say that I did not have much support after our youngest was born, but that we prepared our toddler at the time as well as we could to prevent jealousy and other problems. He loves her and kisses her everyday. We didn't have any problems at all. It was hard though. After you barely get one sleeping through the night, here comes a newborn. I bf both of them and I think that helped b/c I could feed the baby and still read books, and build blocks with the toddler. You just have to do what feels right for you and your family, but it can definitely be done and done well, it might just take a little more work.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

I have a boy and a girl who are 13 months apart and I am not going to lie to you IT IS HARD. Some days are better than others, but that is for all mommies or daddies. I do love having both of them close together. They play together all day and all night and they are so close to each other. You take one you have to take the other or they cry for each other. It was harder when my daughter was born because you have the work of a new baby and chasing a toddler around. Lots of diaper changing. But none of this has stopped me. My two are 4 and 3 years old right now and they are alot of fun. They are both out of diapers (which for us was the biggest issue). It's hard on the pocket book buying for two. I say if you and your husband want another one then go for it. There is way more ups than there is downs. To me I feel the closer they are the better, except when they grow up they will be moving out at the same time I hope everything works out for you and good luck in your decision.

Closed Thread