It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User
Red face Almost-4-year-old won't go potty - and I'm going NUTS!

I am having the worst time with my son Ian. He will be 4 in May. He is STILL not potty-trained...and I'm at my wits end. I've tried everything. I have used a doll to show him how to do it. I have bought cool big-boy underwear. He likes them but says he'd rather have his pull-up, thankyouverymuch. I've tried letting him go naked. I've tried throwing away pull-ups and putting on undies - he goes in them. I've bought him a cool kiddie potty. He hates it. I have made him change his own pee/poopie pull-ups...he hates doing it but it hasn't made him stop. I've told him he'll be a big boy and I'll buy him a big-boy bike if he'll just use the potty. He wants the bike, but not enough to just go in the toilet. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO???!!!

Old 02-02-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User
Re: Almost-4-year-old won't go potty - and I'm going NUTS!

Is he maybe afraid of the toliet? Have you tried talkin to him about it to see why he doesn't want to use it? If thats the case maybe you could buy him one of the kids toliet seats that go over the big toliet seats for added comfort. They come in all different kinds of characters maybe he could pick his own out. My son was petrified of the toliet caz he was always afraid he'd fall in, but it was no wonder caz he's always been so tiny and he'd webble wabble when he sat on the big potty without his potty seat. Now he's over his fears of falling in and don't use the little boy potty seat...now its tryin to get him to wipe his own rearend...thats been the biggest challenge so far! Also try makin it fun for your son to go potty...place cheerios in the toliet and have a game to see if he can pee in the middle of the cheerio. I know how frustrating it can be...try making it fun and be very stern with him when he has accidents!!! Good Luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

Here's what I did with my son. The doctor told me to stop talking about the potty for two weeks. Say NOTHING! Just go about your business with diapers and let it be. After that two weeks is up try again. I put a little seat that is made to go on the big seat and started him on that and I had a chart on the back of the door that every time he pee'd he'd get a star and then when he washed his hands he'd get a star and when he used the towel to dry them he got a star..so then it was all about getting a star....The ONE time my son went poop and my daughters went poop I did a "poo poo on the potty" dance! I made the biggest loudest fool out of myself and they always went after that.....IF by chance my one daughter messed in her pants I said that it was an accident to try again and she finally got it to.
SO just try not saying anything to do with the potty for two weeks. It sometimes takes some kids a bit longer to feel that feeling of having to go. My son had tummy aches and then I realized "omg he's got to go". Good luck

Old 02-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
(female)

divingdoves HB User

My son was almost 5 before he used the potty and I was very frustrated too. I had his dad and his older brother "showing him the fun using the potty" and how "cool" it was to use the potty. Then I kept him naked and constantly, every 5 mins, asked him if he had to go potty. But not letting it be a big deal, either. Then one day when I left the room he went! Boy did we do the happy dance! All of us were laughing and jumping for joy, he couldnt beleive the fuss we were making! It helped me to know that some boys , maybe even most, take longer to potty train. I don't think you should worry too much over this. It will happen. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I agree with Soulcatcher. This has become a power struggle. Put him in diapers and drop it for the time being. Personally, I don't think 2 weeks is enough. I'd wait a couple of months. Then, when you do reintroduce the idea, make it fun.

We used an old book called "Potty Training in Less Than a Day" with our 2 boys. They loved it and although it was an exhausting day for both my husband and I, we were extremely pleased with the resuts.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

My son(4) and daughter(3) just got potty-trained. I know you may think this is crazy but it worked for us. I noticed when my husband and went to the bathroom the kids would follow us in. My husband and I started praising each other for going to the bathroom. We was like " Wow mommy, you sure are a big girl for going to the potty!" and doing the same for daddy. In a weeks time we could catch them in the bathroom sitting on the potty and laughing before you knew it they were peeing and pooping in the potty. I know it sounds crazy. But little ones look up to mommy and daddy, were just like idols in there little eyes. It won't hurt to give it a try and Good Luck to you.

Closed Thread