It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User
Left handed Child

Hi,
I have a left handed child, he's six years old....Does anyone know where i can purchase a left handed pencil grip for children or something like it...My son is having a hard time in school only because two years ago the school tried to correct his left to the right....The teacher he has now is wonderful and trying so hard to help him....We found out from a friend that there was something that might help him but he can't remember what it was called or where to get it...All he could remember is that it wraps around the pencil so that the child will be able to hold the pencil easier....Thanks

Old 02-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User
Re: Left handed Child

there are those pencil protector things.. it helps, so u know how to hold the pencil.. u should find them anywhere..

at zellers/walmart, u should find stuff there. (my bro is left handed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 03:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Try a children's/teacher's supply store. [removed] Good luck!

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 02-09-2005 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Do not instruct others on off board searches. Thank you!

Old 02-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi I just wanted to say that I think its terrible that that teacher tried to force your child to write with his right hand I thought that went out with the dark ages ! My son is left handed and actually use to be able to use both hands when he was a little boy, but eventually went to the left hand. Sorry I dont recall using any special kind of pencil or holder ???

Old 02-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

I am a left handed person. I remember my mom hated that I used my left hand. I never had anything special on my pencils during school or anything else. I remeber the teachers would let us lefties turn our notebooks upside down but other than that I don't recall anything. You know they say that lefties are very artistic. Good luck on finding lefty supplies. I remember the hardest thing for me was the scissors in art class and I know office supply stores carry lefty scissors.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

Hi again,
I'm looking for something for his pencil because when he holds the pencil he holds it in the middle of the pencil...Also i think most people lay there arm down when they write or draw, well my son holds his arm in the air while writing or drawing....I just thought maybe there was something out there that could help him....I've tried to show him how to hold his pencil and so did his new teacher but he goes back to the same way after a while...I don't want him to struggle with writing or drawing....Thanks for all your replies

Old 02-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #7
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

If your child is writing ok, and comfortable writing a certain way, why not let him keep writing that way? He will eventually perfect it. But I have seen the pencil grips/holders at Walmart. They even have them in different shapes... you could try putting it on the pencil and telling him to "Hold it here" kind of thing.. it may help.

Closed Thread