It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

LadyoftheLake HB User
My once brave 2yr old is now afraid of being alone constantly

Last month was a horrible month for my family. It seemed that anything that was going to go wrong for the whole year just packaged itself up in the month of January. Anyway during last month my husband had to drive his dying father to Texas to be with his wife ( my husband's mother). Since I had school I couldn't attend, plus I didn't want to drag our son on such a long ride. Anyways my husband stayed there for two weeks and that greatly affected our son since he thought daddy left for good. When my husband came home he had to go to work unfortunately though he had some extra time to spend with us.
Well anyway on his third day back we had our first fire and he was at work. Our furnance, an old coal steel can..lol, blew up in a tower of flames. It was my mother that discovered it and I immediately without panic called 911, grabbed a blanket that was by the T.V, gathered my son up, put my shoes on at the front door and ran outside in the freezing cold and snow. He was horribly scared and didn't know what was happening. I took him over to my mother's house which was next door and we wait for the firetrucks to come. He was really really scared so I explained to him what was happening and told him that the firefighters were going to put it out. Unfortunately when they did come after everything was done they need my help, so I need to go back to our home. My mother took care of my son but obviously it was very tragic.
Now after everything is said and done, he is always still talking about it, he won't go downstairs by himself anymore or upstairs. We always tell him how brave he was and told him how the firefighters were superheros that put out the fire monster. But it seems that he has this major fear of being alone because of the fire. He also doesn't want to leave my husband's side because he thinks that when daddy's gone there is going to be a fire.

I need some help on how to get him to battle his fear. I was thinking on getting some fire videos and maybe get him his own special fire alarms. But it seems all the talking we do isn't helping. Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: My once brave 2yr old is now afraid of being alone constantly

I say a little bit of therapy with an expert. Someone who really knows how kids think and deal with stress and fear. They'll know the right way to get him to express what he is feeling and will know how to help him get over it. I bet it wouldn't take too much time. Also, 18 months is approx. the time when children go through another round of seperation anxiety...that's probably not helping things either. Good luck, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles

Old 02-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I can't imagine your son NOT being terrified after seeing fire in his house. The one place where he would normally feel most secure is now no longer a safe haven for him. His little world has been rocked.

I agree with Kierra. A few sessions with a play therapist would probably be a good idea.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

I agree with what the others have said. Maybe the therapist would help. I remember when I was little being in a tornado at home and I was so terrified just like your son. I was afraid to do anything without my parents or even sleep alone for years.

Closed Thread