It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

picksie HB User
Angry Daughter wants to be dirty?

Please help me understand, LOL!

My DD is 11 and if anyone read my post about her being ahead of the pack in the development department for her age, you know that she is definitely in need of more self-care than your average 11 year old.

Usually by this age, girls start to get interested in boys (ugh lol) so they take particular care in how they look. Not so for my DD.... she is the opposite. Never wants to shower or wash her hair or brush her teeth or be clean in general. She could literally smell (and has) and still not care ! I just don't get it. I take showers, wash my hair, brush my teeth and put on makeup and clean clothes daily and am somewhat picky about how I look before I leave the house.... I thought she may take after me but my habits apparantly aren't rubbing off on her.

Any thoughts? I am tired of having to deliver a speech every other day on the importance of being clean. I don't understand not taking pride in your appearance... hell, I'd be happy with wierd or ugly clothes if the kid wearing them was at least clean LOL!

Old 02-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

fouradss HB User
Re: Daughter wants to be dirty?

Are we talking about my sister?? LOL Well it is a very normal thing to go through. One of my younger sister is almost 13 and just starting to get out of that stage. Unfortunatly for you and others around her Just stick it out without pusing to hard, because then it may come the one thing that pushes your buttons. My sis was and is very good at it. But eventually she will care about her personal hygene. Until then there are always noseplugs. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

Sucha HB User

Picksie,
Are you talking about my daughter???? She is 11 also and if I didn't make her shower and brush her hair or her teeth she wouldn't !! I too get so tired of the speeches too. What is even worse- she doens't change her underwear every day...ugh. I have tried to expalain the importance of it but she just doesn't get it. Do I start having a consequence for not changing her underpants?? (like a punishment?) If I ask her she says she does... but when it comes laundry day there are not more than 4 pair of underwear in there!! It totally grosses me out, that is worse than any underarm smell...which she seems to have gotten it about putting on deodorant...thank God most of the time she will do that. But the hair doesn't always get done, and we look like we just got out of bed. My thought on that is- there are a lot of other kids that go to school the same way, without brushing their hair, so if she wants to go to school looking like that , she can..but if we are going out somewhere together, I make sure she brushes it. She has shorter hair now so we don't have to worry about the knots....
Anyways, I feel your pain, and I hope both of them will wake up and start caring about their looks and hygiene in general... Good luck, let me know how it goes....

Old 02-08-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
(female)

picksie HB User

Wow Sucha, I think we have twins seperated at birth! We have the same underwear problem but since she has her period already, it's doubly gross eeww. And she also does the deordorant thing, too - odd LOL! That's about the only thing I can count on and I think that's because it was engrained into her brain and has become a habit... just like I'm hoping the other stuff will be soon!

Well, it's good to know that mine is not the only girl out there who is stinky sometimes LMAO! I guess this is just one more hurdle for us parents! ugh

Old 02-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
(female)

Sucha HB User

Picksie,
I"m glad to hear that you have the underwear problem...I can deal with the bad hair days and even the stinkiness of the underarms occasionally but the underwear really bothers me because I just think its sooo dirty not to change them. ugh. what do you do about that? anything?? They've got to get a clue one of these days right????
ok now lets see if they really are twins...my daughter will only wear her jeans and short sleeved t shirts with cute little sayings or pictures on them...in the middle of winter (we live near Chicago)! always!!! I try to buy her long sleeve shirts and sweatshirts or sweaters, even cardigan types, but she wont wear them...ugh!!!! I wear tshirts and jeans a lot too, sometimes in the winter, but most of the time wear long sleeves or sweaters when its cold...but not her. Does your daughter care what she wears yet?? Mine doesn't care about styles or names or anythign like that yet...just jeans and cute little tshirts... so are they still twins?? LOL

Old 02-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
(female)

picksie HB User

She likes the cute sayings like "Princess" or "Grumpy" and stuff like that. I do have to force her to wear heavier items in the winter or she would wear tshirts too. But, she will wear them on her own accord sometimes... the problem I have with her is she hates sweatpants and normal old sweatshirts. They have to be special and she is into name brands already. Old Navy (which is ok because I shop there constantly) and Limited Too (expensive as hell) and the Gap (I shop there anyway) are the big ones right now. I expect Abercrombie and Aeropostale will be next - not a big fan of them but they do offer some decent clothes, gotta watch some of it though.

Gee, I can't wait until her demands for clothes outweigh my own LOL!

Old 02-15-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

I was the same way when I was younger. Mainly because I was (and still am) a tomboy. I would shower every other day, wouldnt brush my hair, I didnt use deoderant, and yes, I too wore the same underwear for more then one day. I also did a few other things that were worse, because I wanted to "save" water and paper, lol. I wore guys clothes and just didnt care. Mainly, I think it was because my self esteem was low, and I just wasnt mature enough to understand how important stuff like that was. I wasnt interrested in boys until I was about 14 (They were always my friends, so it never seemed like a big deal). I am not sure of anything that really kicked my butt into having better hygene, I think it was just maturing enough to realize. I am almost 21 years old now... I know my post wasnt much help, but at least I'm proof that the stinkiness does end, lol... eventually.

Closed Thread