It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
(male)

steelfan3838 HB User
thongs

what age do you think it is right for a girl to wear thongs as underwear? what about thongs as swimwear like to the pool or beach?
what age did you start wearing thongs?(if you do) did you have to sneak them at first?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

LadyoftheLake HB User
Re: thongs

I bought my first thong at the tender age of 15. Though at the time it was a major deal, now that I'm 21 they are just considered underwear. I don't think that its too much of a big deal for a teen girl to wear a thong, but wearing one as a bathingsuit, I don't think thats right even if you are older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Inactive

off kilter HB User

My stepdaughter started wearing them around age 15 or 16. i only knew because I did the laundry. It didn't mind but her Father was helping me fold the clothes one day and asked me what the tiny thing was. I explained it was ***'s underware and I thought he had a great line. He said " The diaper I brought her home from the hospital in was bigger" Poor dad. I was sympathic I remember the first time one of my boy's accidentally put a pair of underware in the laundry that said " Home of the Whopper " on the front.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan3838
what age do you think it is right for a girl to wear thongs as underwear? what about thongs as swimwear like to the pool or beach?
what age did you start wearing thongs?(if you do) did you have to sneak them at first?

sf- thongs to the pool generally aren't considered "normal" swimwear for any woman or girl who does not make her living by the good graces of men, i.e. by dancing on a pole or some such thing. unless of course, you live in brazil, where they're more accepting of that sort of thing, as i understand.

the thong as underwear, on the other hand, is often considered good fashion sense for the teenaged girl (15-16ish seems average) who wants to avoid "vpl" visible panty lines. however, the boyshort is more in fashion these days, according to cosmo!

Old 02-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

ugh, i cant stand them.. i dont think ill ever where them... lol, to me, id think i have a wedgie 24/7.. lol (im a teen btw, im 18)

Old 02-15-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

I think the age depends on your child. I got my first pair when I was about 13. I had to wear these pants, and normal underwear just wouldnt work, lol. My mom let me pick out which one I wanted, which was pretty cool, especially because I know it must have drove her nuts, lol. But underwear are underwear and now thats all I wear. They are much more comfortable then normal underwear. But I do wear normail underwear when I am on the rag or racing my quad.

I think if your daughter is mature enough not to get giddy and want to show it off to everyone, then she is mature enough to have her first pair.

As for the thong bathingsuit deal... NO ONE is ever old/young enough to wear one, at least not in public, lol. Wearing them in tanning beds are one thing.. publicly is another. I am a tollerant person, and could care less what anyone wears, but a person who wears a thong bathingsuit truely has no respect for themselves or others. At least in most cases.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
(male)

steelfan3838 HB User

my daughter is almost 11 years old; she is the one i was talking about. i have two others ages 16 and 13. all those two wear are thongs. i dont know if i should let her or not. any other opinions?

Old 02-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
(male)

steelfan3838 HB User

she just asked me again tonight if she could have a thong, i dont know what to tell her. im still unsure. are there any more opinions on this?

Old 02-22-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
(female)

kini23 HB User

I think 18 is old enough. Why would an 11 year old CHILD want to wear a thong? Thongs were unheard of when I was a teen. I am 29 now. I am disgusted with how women are sexualized in American culture. I suggest you go see a movie called "Thirteen". It is definitely an eye opener about troubled young girls. I am not saying your baby is troubled I guess I am just venting. Maybe tv and magazines are to blame for women and girls trying to be sexual objects. I have an 11 year old neice and she is just a baby in my eyes.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
(female)

picksie HB User

I would question at 11 years old why she wants a thong. I personally wear them almost 100% of the time but they definitely take some getting used to. And, I will admit, at first it was something I did not for the VPL issue, but for my husband.

Considering the level of sexual curiosity at the younger ages these days, I would say NO to a thong at 11 unless there was a VERY valid reason. And by valid I mean clothing-related because they sure don't promote vaginal health. Now I do see a need for lowrise panties considering the cut of most most pants and jeans for tweens/teens now. Maybe she'd settle for some cooler-looking undies, some that are less Hanes Her Way and more girl-on-the-verge-of-teenaged years LOL.

BTW, I had my first pair at 15 but I didn't like them and did not begin wearing them again until I was about 20ish. And as for thong bathing suits, one word - EW.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

My step daughter is 15 and where's thong underwear, her father didn't even know till I just told him after reading this post -

I cracked up about the Diaper story and Whopper - LOL, that was too funny.

Anyways, I believe she started at 13.

As for your daughter being 11 and asking, of course she is going to ask because her two older sisters are. Tell her she can when she is 14.
and Drop It. Wouldn't surprise me though if she sneaks into her sisters rooms and takes a pair....I'm the youngest of three girls so whenever my sisters got to due things I too wanted to and my mom would say flat out NO till I reached their age...

AS for the Bathing Suit Thong - I think it's GROSS in public. My girlfriend once had one on at a family beach and I refused to sit with her unless she covered up - But when I went to Miami Beach Florida (South Beach) lots of woman where them there - so what is acceptable in some places may not be in others or everyone is different on how they feel on this subject.

Old 02-26-2005, 06:18 AM   #12
(male)

steelfan3838 HB User

i went out yesterday with her and told her she could have new underwear but no thongs. she was upset, but i let her pick out a few pairs of "sexy" underwear like string bikinis and all the other kind. rather than the hanes her way she was wearing i let her pick out of the girls section in the store where you buy one at a time and they have the same kind of designs as her sisters thongs.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:43 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User

It's funny that this topic came up. I was going to post something about this.

My daughter 13 yrs old, told me several months ago about 1 of her friends who had thongs. I told her I didn't think they were appropriate at 13, but that is her mother's decision to allow. We have talked about what is and isn't appropriate. THEN... last night I did a load of her laundry (she just started doing her own laundry about a month ago) and I found a thong. I was shocked, I called her father (ex hubby) and ask if he knew that she had a thong, he said "he hadn't a clue". So when she got home from hr father's I questioned her about it, all she said was "she just wanted them, and they make her feel sexy, no other reason". So after telling her how dissappointed I was that she would go and buy them without telling me and hidding them, knowing that they are inappropriate. I brought her into the kitchen and got a pair of scissors and put the scissors on the table and her cut them up and threw them out. Had she of brought it up to me that she wanted them and gave me time to get use to the idea, I would have considered it. That how is work around here and she knows it. She told me that "she knew she should have brought this up with me and she knew if was wrong the way she did it".

I'm sorry but at 13 yrs old, I dont think it is right for my daughter to be wearing thongs or skimpy clothing (which she has tried to buy skimpy clothing before). That is why we have rules of what is and is'nt appropriate for her to wear. It doesn't help when her friends are wearing thongs and very skimpy clothes and are very boy crazy, and tv and magazines are not helping either. I'm not saying anything about the other kids and parents that allow there kids to wear these thing I just don't think it is right for my daughter. My daughter has a very boy crazy friend who is in 8 th grade that wears her 4th grade sisters clothes, and her parents see nothing wrong with it, this is not my business, but my daughter see this and then wants to dress that way.which is not allowed in my house. We noe limit how much out of school time she is allowed to spend with this girl.

Is what I'm doing so wrong?

Bren

Last edited by bren7; 02-28-2005 at 07:44 AM.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren7
It's funny that this topic came up. I was going to post something about this.

My daughter 13 yrs old, told me several months ago about 1 of her friends who had thongs. I told her I didn't think they were appropriate at 13, but that is her mother's decision to allow. We have talked about what is and isn't appropriate. THEN... last night I did a load of her laundry (she just started doing her own laundry about a month ago) and I found a thong. I was shocked, I called her father (ex hubby) and ask if he knew that she had a thong, he said "he hadn't a clue". So when she got home from hr father's I questioned her about it, all she said was "she just wanted them, and they make her feel sexy, no other reason". So after telling her how dissappointed I was that she would go and buy them without telling me and hidding them, knowing that they are inappropriate. I brought her into the kitchen and got a pair of scissors and put the scissors on the table and her cut them up and threw them out. Had she of brought it up to me that she wanted them and gave me time to get use to the idea, I would have considered it. That how is work around here and she knows it. She told me that "she knew she should have brought this up with me and she knew if was wrong the way she did it".

I'm sorry but at 13 yrs old, I dont think it is right for my daughter to be wearing thongs or skimpy clothing (which she has tried to buy skimpy clothing before). That is why we have rules of what is and is'nt appropriate for her to wear. It doesn't help when her friends are wearing thongs and very skimpy clothes and are very boy crazy, and tv and magazines are not helping either. I'm not saying anything about the other kids and parents that allow there kids to wear these thing I just don't think it is right for my daughter. My daughter has a very boy crazy friend who is in 8 th grade that wears her 4th grade sisters clothes, and her parents see nothing wrong with it, this is not my business, but my daughter see this and then wants to dress that way.which is not allowed in my house. We noe limit how much out of school time she is allowed to spend with this girl.

Is what I'm doing so wrong?

Bren
No, I don't think what you did was wrong - I applaud you! You are talking with your daughter with what is acceptable and teaching her wearing sexy clothes at her age is not allowed - regardless if Other Mothers are allowing with their daughters...

When my step daughter turned 13 (she is now 15) I was VERY very surprised what her mother allowed her to wear - tight tshirts, low vneck tops with push up bras, her father didn't even NOTICE while we would sit down and have dinner together - I noticed because I have a 16 yr old son ( who was 14 at that time and going throught major puberty and hormones going strong)

During a "moment alone" with my step daughter (we were having some issues with her mother) I spoke with her told her not to think of me as a step mom but as an Aunt, I also told her I loved her and if I had a daughter SHE would be Exactly what I wanted, she is Beautiful, Smart, So very polite and nice -
her mother has done a wonderful job raising her - but.....I did say in a AUNT type of way - if she was MY daughter I wouldn't allow some of the clothes she wore - I talked to her about sex and appearences and all that stuff and she really listened to me because since that day - I Haven't seen those low cut tops w/bra showing or clevage, or tight clothing - and We do have a wonderful, great, relationship - I love her so much....

YOU GO MOM!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I am 22 and never purchased a thong until I was 18. The main reason I even got some was to wear with tight pants or silk skirts. I hated them though. I found them to give me a wedgie in both places! My mom and a guy I dated both thought thongs were kinda "slutty" as they kinda give that impression. I think an 11 year old is still very much a child and has no business wearing a thong. Thongs are sexual types of underwear and its not a good sign when young girls want to wear them. My cousin started wearing thongs at 13 or 15 (something like that) and my mom and I were kind of appaled.

Closed Thread