It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 06:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User
Tinny Tiny dresses on 12 y/o girls

I'm asking this about my cousin, not my own DD (who is only 1 ). She looks up to me like a big sister. I recently moved far away and she emails me updates on school, and life in general and just today she sent my pics of her winter ball. Her and her friends where standing in a row all sporting spagetti strap, low cut, backless gowns?!? Full up do's and make-up done. Sure they all looked beautiful, but there are only 12 and 13 years old. I'm no prude, but these girls look 18 . Is this how all 12 and 13 y/o's dress now? I worry that dressing this way will attract unwanted attention for her and her friends. Her mother is a great Mom, and I'm sure she is very careful about who her Daughter is with. I dressed this way when I was her age, although I was raised completely different then her, and I was raped when I was 12 y/o by a 16 and 17 y/o. I worry about her. Is there anyway of aproaching this subject with her without having her just block me out? Or is this just her growning up way too early?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
(female)

curious1979 HB User
Re: Tinny Tiny dresses on 12 y/o girls

I really don't see what the big deal is about this. It is a dance that they went to. Girls that age do want to look like a princess. Dressing up with make-up and older hair do's....I wouldn't really worry about it. You should feel honored that she wants to tell you about everything. You have such a close bond. Just be there for her. Let her know that you are concerned about her and want her to be safe. Girls these days are alot more grown up than we were at there age. As long as she has a good head on her shoulders, you really shouldn't worry about it. Just be there for her when she needs you.

Last edited by curious1979; 02-25-2005 at 08:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

I guess it's just my previous experience that makes me overly weary. I just feel that by a 12 y/o dressing this way that it may get them attention that they are not yet old enough to understand?? I know they are not dressing this way to be sexual, but at the same time,they are. I will always be there for her. I just see such a change in the way that she acts and dresses now, and 12 seems so young. I guess it's just her growing up

Last edited by worried_mommy; 02-25-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

Well i do see the big deal!!!!
I see it every day in the way the girls are dressing!!!
My daughter will be 14 in june..I have taught her if your not giving it away ,then ya dont show it..PERIOD!!!
I just think the so called clothes out there now a days have gone waaay over the top!!
The industry is trying to make our little girls look liek sex kittens!!
I dont agree.I wouldnt see any harm in just slippin it into conversation about how the wrong clothes atrract the wrong kind of boys..
I wouldnt bring it up outta the blue,but i would bring it up!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #5

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

I agree with the above poster.
Young girls do not realize how clothing affects guys. Alot of clothing today shows off way too much. There are tons of trendy great looking outfits without having to show off what you got. It's not appropriate for young girls to wear clothing that makes them look older, and show off way too much. It's not wonder that so many girls that age are sexually active already.

Closed Thread