It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

cutie777 HB User
Angry Trouble with a 6 year old boy

Hi all,

I am currently as aupair, and the 6 year old boy I am looking after since three weeks has just begun to be horrible. He has a nearly three year old sister and is mean to her. When I tell him to stop whatever he is doing to her, he just continues it. I tell him I will punish him, or I tell him to go to his room, and of course he won't. I can't exactly drag him upstairs because I'm afraid I'll get a black eye! He will say things to me like "Go back to your own country" or "You are stupid, you annoy me". They hurt my feelings and I feel like just giving up and going home!
He also tells his sister to say these things to me.

I haven't spoken to his parents about this but I certainly will. The problem is that when he is like this to them, they don't seem to take much notice, especially when he screams at them and such. I feel like my hands are tied.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thankyou!

Old 02-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User
Re: Trouble with a 6 year old boy

What do you mean you will get a black eye? From a six year old?

Kid is looking for attention even if it's in a negative way and your giving it to him. Is there anyway you can have some one on one with him for play time with something he likes to do?

You do need to talk to his parents, even if they allow the boy to behave in the manner you mentioned...BUT, they may accept it or allow it but you don't have to. Either you can "try" to work with him or you will have no choice but to find a better suited family.

Can you give him time outs when he acts up, placing him in a corner for 5 minutes, having him sit on the couch with NO TV for 10minutes till he will aploize for what he has done or what he may have said - and if he does say he is sorry - make sure he knows what he is sorry about...

Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread