It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User
Angry MIL allowing baby to chew on empty beer bottles

Well as the title says, my MIL allows our 1 y/o baby girl to chew on empty beer bottles....sometimes even half full ones that she is holding on to. This drives me INSANE! The problem is that I have no reason to tell her to stop (though I do, unsuccessfully) becuase I have no reason why she shouldn't do this....so my MIL says. Even in public places she does this! Not that I really care where she does it she shouldn't at all! I can just see her running around when she's 2 and grabbing someones half full beer bottle and drinking it.

My MIL and I already disagree on so many things like this, I hate to have another, but I just think it's so wrong! I'm forever telling her not to feed her potato chips, or allow her to play by the stairs (no sitting half way across the room while she's doing it is not close enough to grab her if she falls!) Just the other night I went to run her a bath and my MIL say go I'll watch her....I come back to her crawling for the HOT oven which is also next to the OPEN stairs and my MIL is paying NO attention and is putting dishes away in the dishwasher.I serioulsy wonder how her 3 childern are still alive! My DH had SOO many accidents as a baby, that still bother him now. Falling down the stairs, falling from the couch at 11 months and breaking his collar bone and dislocating his shoulder. He agrees with me and tries to talk to her, but she just shrugs everything off like it's nothing.

I don't know weither to just grin and bare it when she allows her to chew on beer bottles, or put my foot down. I hate to have ''one more thing Grandma can't do with the baby'' so she's says. I do feel bad when I ask her not to do things like that with her, but she is so irresponsable. We just want to keep our DD safe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: MIL allowing baby to chew on empty beer bottles

What if your daughter breaks the beer bottle and cuts her mouth to shreds?
I don't care what my MIL would say. She's your child and tell her you won't stand for her to encourage this situation.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Thank you susieq0726!!! She says that there is no way a 1 y/o could break the bottle....how does she know that!!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

OMG I would never let a baby chew on a beer bottle. Thats disgusting... What if she drinks it? Your MIL is obviously careless and irresponsible from the things that happened to your husband when he was a baby. I don't think you should leave your daughter alone with that woman!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Trust me, Besafe20, I don't leave her alone with her!! unless Im still in the house. I don't know how to approach this subject, again, with her though. I guess I'll just have to straight out tell her to STOP!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

tell her you don't want your daughter to end up with injuries like your husband did lol.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

LOL besafe20!! it's true, but still made me laugh.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Far out, if my MIL ( who isnt around anymore ) did something like that I just wouldnt take my babies there full stop ! Take aside the fact that your daughter is chewing on glass and it could possibly break, what about the germs YUCK ! Is she an alcoholic ? Its just that you mention many accidents when your other half was a baby ? Sorry but you have to put your babies welfare before your MIL's feelings. Maybe I am just a cold person, but my FIL is banned from my home and has been for the last 6 months. Too long to go into now, but he will never darken my doorstep again, he hasnt even met my 16 week old son. I will always put my children and their welfare first and if that means hurting someone feelings family or not I will ! GOOD LUCK

Old 02-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Worried Mommy,
I hate to say this but if you don't say something to her, your daughter could end up badly injured,,,,or worse.
I would under no circumstances leave her alone with your daughter. At least for now - until she can prove to you she can take care of her. If that ever happens,,,,,

Old 02-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #10

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

Even if you don't have a "reason" as your MIL says, it is YOUR child, and she should respect your wishes regarding your baby.
I agree with the others, what if she drinks some? Or cuts her mouth? It does sound like she is irresponsible, and not very watchful of your baby when she is watching her.
I wouldn't let my MIL watch my child without me there if she behaved like that.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Thanks guys! No she's not an alcoholic...she's from scotland where it's just customary to have a night cap. She used to do this when our DD was younger and I told her to stop, that it was disgusting. She did for awhile but now it's like she feels it's ok again because she is older I mean sometimes she is so good with her, and then others....well...not so good . I NEVER leave her alone with her, I just always feel like Im telling her to stop that, or dont do that, or please watch her. She always gives me that '' here we go'' look. She's forever telling me that she raised 3 kids...and I don't know what Im talking about because Im young ( im 20 DH is 22) I know Im young but I also know that you have to WATCH your kids....and not alow them to chew on beer bottles maybe... <sigh>

Old 02-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I am only 22 (my son just turned a year last week) so I was only 21 when I had him but I seemed to be more worried than my MIL. She is always letting Dylan have things that I object to. We are in the same boat I guess and it is funny both our kids are 1 year old! My MIL always says to me I had 5 kids and they are all fine! She always feeds my son tons of dessert even when he was much younger, and she would give him things that (in my opinion) he wasn't ready for and could choke on. I know it is hard when you are young and look at your MIL as a parental figure and it is hard to voice your opinion goodluck!

Old 03-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Oh yeah, she's always giving DD strange things to eat, it's drives me nuts lol. Unless it's going to hurt her I really try to bite my tongue. Pretend I didn't see Grandma sneak her a cookie lol. BUT at the same time I know what's best for my DD regardless of my age....and I really wish she would realize this and stop acting like she's raised 3 kids and knows everything and I know nothing. Epecially when I see so many almost accidents the DH or I jump arcoss the room to stop, and Grandma just laughs it off and pretends like nothing happened. I know kids fall...DD falls ALL the time :P, but I also know there is a diffrence between falling trying to learn to walk, or falling down the stairs....or chewing on a beer bottle which someone aloud them too, or gabbing something gross of the floor and getting to their mouth before someone can grab it :P.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Does MIL live with you or do you live with MIL?

Your MIL is a wack case, Hello - giving a bottle of beer to chew on, empty or halfful is NOT a laughing matter - I wouldn't allow MY DOG to chew on a bottle let alone a BABY.

You have got to keep your baby away from MIL and allow "just" play time if she can manage that or handle that task...

Want to settle the beer bottle issue - Keep the BEER out of your house.
If you can't do that - switch to CANS and hope that she doesn't give a baby a CAN to chew on....

Old 03-01-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlHarley
Does MIL live with you or do you live with MIL?

Your MIL is a wack case, Hello - giving a bottle of beer to chew on, empty or halfful is NOT a laughing matter - I wouldn't allow MY DOG to chew on a bottle let alone a BABY.

You have got to keep your baby away from MIL and allow "just" play time if she can manage that or handle that task...

Want to settle the beer bottle issue - Keep the BEER out of your house.
If you can't do that - switch to CANS and hope that she doesn't give a baby a CAN to chew on....
We live with her ATM (soon to be moving 4 hours away ) We just moved to a new province and have been staying with her for a few months to get on our feet. So I can't exactly tell her not to have beer in her own home. It's not like this is a nightly thing....though probably weekly.

Closed Thread