It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

daughter2005 HB User
Was my daughter rude?

About a month ago or so I and my daughter who is 13 stopped by McDonald around 9 pm. As we got our food and sit down, I notice employer moping floor at the other side. About 10 min went buy and she was mopping near us, it seems she was doing final clean up as she was mopping with really wet mop and rinse it out and wiping floor of excess water. There were about 4 more customers at different table other then us. As she went by there table she said excuse me and I saw one customer lifting there feet to let her mop under the table(it seemd like other people also let her mop under the table). As she was coming closer to our table I told my daughter that if she says excuses me to lift her feet and let her mop under the table.. About 3 minutes latter she went by our table and said excuse me and I lifted my feet and she pushed mop under the table,she pushed mop in two times, in and out however my daughter didn't lift her feet both of the times including the time she pushed her mop back again to mop up the excess water after rining out her mop. I heared the sound of mop hitting her shoes as mop went by her, feet. Anyway I didn't tell her anything until we left and then ask her why did she not let her clean and she said it was rude. To me it sound like good reason and that was it. I talk to a friend about a week latter and happened to tell her this. She said that I should discipline my daughter and she was the one that was rude and the employee was just doing her job. My friend didn't see anything wrong with employee mopping floor around customers. I am not sure if what my daughter did was rude or not. What do you think? Sorry about long post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
(female)

nikki11 HB User
Re: Was my daughter rude?

hmm.. u no.. thats a tricky question.. in a sence it is a bit rude to have sumone cleaning rite where you are eating.. i mean, Wen i go out to eat, i pay for my meal, i except that im allowed to eat it - in peace.. but on the other hand, the employer was probably just doing her job.. i would say it was more rude of your daughter not to do as YOU asked of her more than it was of her to not move her feet and possbilty the waitress should have asked if it was ok if she mop around your table, instead of just saying "excuse me"..

Old 03-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #3

liza HB User

I think this one is a split. I think they were both rude. The worker shouldn't of been doing that while you were eating. It is unsanitary anyway. Besides, when you get up to leave, the floor is wet, who would want to walk on a wet floor and possibly fall? That is a hazard right there. Also, I am sure the employee knew she was hitting your daughters feet also and kept on doing it.

I agree that your daughter was rude for not moving her feet. I would discuss it with her, but I would in my opinion talk to the management about the employees behavior. I am not saying this is an excuse, but your daughter is 13 and the worker I am sure is way older. Your daughter is old enough to know better, but so is the employee.

Last edited by liza; 03-04-2005 at 08:46 AM.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
(female)

Lamp HB User

I'm not a parent but personally I think it is rude for workers at restaurants to clean up around your feet while you're eating. I've been out with my own mom and she politely asked an employee to wait until we were finished eating to clean up around our table. No harm done.
If I was in those shoes (getting mopped around) I would definitely ask the person to wait until I was finished eating.
And I agree with liza - it IS a safety hazard. The employees should know better.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:06 AM   #5
(female)

Erika2610 HB User

Having worked in a restaurant, I can tell ya .. she was just doing her job. I vacuumed around people all the time, and when people complained, my boss would tell them I was just doing my job. You also wouldn't wanna sit in a filthy restuarant would ya?

Old 03-07-2005, 06:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

I have also worked in restaurants and we were never allowed to clean up around the customers. Vacumming and floor cleaning were to be done after we closed at night. I don't think they should have been cleaning while you were eating yuck!! What if some of the floor water splashed onto your food. I would talk to the management of the place. Your daughter had a valid point but I do think she should have listened to you, when you asked her to lift up her feet. She then could have voiced her opinion to you as to why she did not agree.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi I think its extremely rude to have someone mopping around your feet when you are trying to eat. Of course clean up rubbish of tables etc, but not the mop thing Good on your daughter for sticking to her guns I say. But on the other hand she should have said to you at the time, mom Im not lifting my feet because I think what that worker is doing is rude.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Thats really weird that the worker was mopping under people's tables. I have never seen that before. Usually they wait ubtil the people are gone. I don't think your daughter was rude at all. I would be kinda mad if I had to lift my legs while eating so the floor could be mopped. The worker was trying to leave as early as possible in my opinion. If I were you I would have complained to the manager. (and I am usually not one to complain or get mad).

Old 03-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #9

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

I kinda lean more towards the employee being rude in mopping under tables while people are eating at them. She should have waited until people left. However, if I were eating somewhere and one of the employees was mopping, I wouldn't be rude back, and not move my feet, so I kinda think that was rude too. Just because people are rude to you, doesn't mean you have to be rude back. I would explain this to my daughter, but I don't think I would punish her, or make a huge deal out of it.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #10

Terranne HB User

Your daughter should have listened to you because you told her to but on the other hand I personally wouldn't have lifted my feet for the worker either...I'm quite straight forward with people like that and whether it's your job or not you just don't do that...mop around the rest of the place and wait for the people to leave before doing under that table.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #11
(female)

punkrokchk2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranne
Your daughter should have listened to you because you told her to but on the other hand I personally wouldn't have lifted my feet for the worker either...I'm quite straight forward with people like that and whether it's your job or not you just don't do that...mop around the rest of the place and wait for the people to leave before doing under that table.

Well, not only that...but how would it have been any different if the lady were to have taken her spray bottle and wiped up the crumbs you guys had just created by eating? In my opinion not any different at all.

And what if I was sitting there at the table next to you and I was 85 years old and not able to lift my feet very high? Very rude of the worker...unless of course he/she didn't know any better (due to a mental illness of some sort)....I've seen that many times, too...

Also I'd like to say that your daughter really didn't do anything wrong by not lifting her legs - she could have handled it differently, though - she could have politely asked the employer to wait until they were finished eating...AND she could have mentioned to you that she wasn't going to lift her legs when you told her to.... But just my 2 cents worth...

Happy Friday!

Old 03-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #12
(female)

daughter2005 HB User

thanks for everyone reply, lost this page for a second. I have decided to drop this matter all together as i decided i need to pick up battles.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:22 AM   #13
(male)

trevlacxam HB User

both were rude

Old 03-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

Your daugher was right. The employee was just trying to do a "quick" job so when 10pm hit she could leave. It's lazyness on the employee's part. And I would have done the same thing as a 21yr old.

I work in a convienient store and I mop all the time always knowing that it will get walked on again. And when the store closes I have to mop again if it's been walked on. Anytime a customer walks in while im mopping i stop right away because they feel bad. They say "oh im sorry im walking all over your clean floor" i tell them "No no its okay i have to do it again anyway, your alright walk anywhere."

And if i was in your daughters shoes I wouldnt have moved my feet either. IT's just lazy people wanting to cut corners.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:30 AM   #15
(female)

All Star Mom HB User

I think your daughter was right, I think ti was rude for the employee to be mopping right under you or even near you when you are eating. They are suppose to wait until the customer is done. Who wants dirty water splashed on their clothes or worse, their food! Yuck!!! I can picture this, the employee probably was mopping close to the customers because that was her "hint" for you to hurry up and leave, so SHE could get off early. I would have made her come back after. No doubt!!!

Closed Thread