It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
(female)

Dragoness_00 HB User
Smart 9 year old Just will not do classroom work

My 9-year-old son is a very smart child but he just wonít do his classroom work (even stuff that takes him 5 minutes to do). He skipped a grade last year but he has never had a problem fitting in because all his friends at school where a grade higher then he was. He just seemed to like the older children. I have talked to him and he says the work is not too hard for him. If I make him bring the work home and sit him in a quite spot he has it done in no time but at school he just stares off into space and watches what everyone else is doing. I have tried everything, Talking about it, taking things away from him (T.V. video games ect.), grounding him, spankings, and I have even talked to his teacher and she is at a loss also. I have sat him down and asked him why he thinks this is happening but he says he does not know. I am going crazy. I get so angry about this I even yell at him now and I never use to do that. I am at my wits end with no end in sight. He aces his tests but does nothing but screw around in class. I feel like I am loosing it. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to keep your sanity. I should say this has been going on for the last 4 months or so.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
(female)

SkeochGirl HB User
Re: Smart 9 year old Just will not do classroom work

I can only tell you what my family did...we pulled him out of school and homeschool him.

Our story is similar to yours. My son is/was an A student in school. You didn't mention if he was a talker but ours is. It would irritate the teacher to no end that he would talk and talk yet know what was going on and ace tests. If you go into a normal classroom there is no doubt why some children cannot work in an environment like that. There is noise, there are visual distractions all over the walls and no incentive to do the work.

Our son had always been this way but in 3rd grade it became an issue with the teacher. Unlike you, we received little support from the school. The teacher didn't want to send him to the principal, didn't want to keep him from recess, didn't want to sit him by himself but wanted to send him home for us to struggle with it EVERY night. When I talked to the principal he had her do a behavioral chart daily. He wasn't mean or nasty...just chatty!

My husband and I discussed homeschooling before but he was phobic of it, not knowing anyone who was. I lucked out when our little league coach successfully homeschooled all 12 of their children. The last straw was at the end of the school year the teacher was going to give his new teacher a copy of the behavioral chart. Just another way to stigmatize him and make him look like a bad kid. That day I sent in his withdrawal papers and it has been bliss every since.

I am sure you have your opinions on homeschool but it has been a heaven sent for us. It sounds like your child catches on easy and sees no reason to do busy work while the teacher helps those who are struggling. We work for 2 - 3 hours a day...there is no busy work. When there are concepts he has trouble we work on them, if he gets it we go to the next subject. He gets time to concentrate on subjects he enjoys as enrichment. My son at the moment wants to be a zoologist so we are studying the differences in animal anatomy.

That is how we dealt with it and probably drastic for most people. I really feel for your son as I know the pain my son went through in school. However my son is thriving and is less stressed. It is amazing to hear from others the positive effects homeschooling has had on him.

Whatever other advice you receive I hope you find the solution that works best for you son. School is rough!

Shandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread