It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

nikki003 HB User
5yr old Son needs MRI, petrified

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I figured maybe I could reach someone who has gone through what I am going through. My 5 year old son is being sent for an MRI. I have never been so scared in my life. The neurologist wants to rule out a brain tumor as a reason for his occasionally waking at night with headache and vomiting. She said that she does not expect to find anything but needs to be sure. I keep crying on and off and don't know how I will get all the way through this. We are still waiting for an appointment at the hospital, supposedly they are booking into April now. Anyone ever had any experience like this? Any positive feedback would be great, All the best.

Nikki

Last edited by nikki003; 03-08-2005 at 07:04 AM.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User
Re: 5yr old Son needs MRI, petrified

I had to stand next to my 5 month old DD while she had a catscan after a sleepwalking accident with my DH. It was the worst moment of my life truely. Just waiting to see if something was wrong, if there was any bleeding in her brain, luckly there wasn't and she got to come home after 24 hour observation.

Really there is not too much you can do but wait. I'm sure he is fine! Drs. like to rule out everything, just to be sure so they can cover all their bases. Which is a good thing. You need someone to lean on for support right now. The best thing to get you through is to remember that your son needs you to be strong for him! Try to keep yourself busy until the appointment. And if you need to vent, we're here! My thoughts are with you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Nikki,
I had my son go through an MRI when he was 8 years old, I demanded to be done to his neurologist due to his constant Headaches, which turned out to be migranes. He started having headaches with vomiting at the age of 6, they were not frequent but enough to be concerned...

When they became frequent at the age of 8 I was very concerned it could be something else ( I never showed my son I was freaked out just concern )

As scary as it is, it's good your neurologist just wants to check for anything else it could be - I hope all turns out well for your son and YOU...
HANG IN THERE..
Take Care.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
(female)

nikki003 HB User

Thanks so much for responding. If I may, I would like to ask a few questions about your child's headaches. Did they wake him at night? Did they last very long? What time of day did they usually occur? The reason I ask these questions is because they would be distinguishing factors between regular migraines and a brain tumor. Thanks again.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
(female)

nikki003 HB User

Thankyou so much for your reassurance and support. I will keep you posted.

Closed Thread