It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User
13 month old whinning!

How can I stop my 13 month old DD from whinning? She seems to be doing this more and more everyday. It really irritates me and I finding it hard to deal with. I don't know if this is just a stage or what but I sure hope it ends soon.

If she is on the floor playing with toys and sees me she immeditely starts whinning and climbing on me. I've tried ingnoring her. I've tried picking her up for a few minutes seeing if she just wanted a little attention. I've tried giving her something else to play with and walking away. She just keeps whinning! I don't mind if she's crying, because I know something is wrong and I'll fix it, but when she whines there is nothing wrong she just wont stop, lol. I have really been trying to ignore it for the most part, because I know there is nothing wrong with her. I spend all day with her I know she's not lacking attention, that's for sure! The last couple of day have been non stop though! I even found myself raising my voice and saying " Will you just STOP!" Which just makes her cry and me feel horrible..... What am I doing wrong here?? Will it ever end?!

Old 03-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #2

FaithfulyWaiting HB User
Re: 13 month old whinning!

Well, I would definitely say not to raise your voice to her. My 15 month old sister has been doing this exact same thing. My mom has been ignoring her when she does this, no matter what, very consistently and it seems to be working. The whining has started to wind down to only a few minutes, then she stops. Also, if she picks her up and she's still whining, not sitting still etc, my mom puts her down immediately. She's learning that she is going to get NO attention at all when she whines. You said you've tried this, how long did you try it for? It takes time, maybe even several weeks or a month or more. Your baby is going to have to unlearn this behavior. I have no other ideas for what to do if that doesn't work though! Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Thanks FaithfulyWaiting. I don't mean to raise my voice, I just get frustrated. I know it's not helping anything and she doesn't understand. She's been doing this for a couple of weeks now and it wasn't too bad, annoying but I just ignored it, but the last few days My God! she hasn't stopped! I just feel bad for ignoring her when she is whinning so much because she will keep it up for a long time like 20 to 30 minutes, but then it's just like it passes and she goes back to playing or brings me over a book to read to her.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

You know my son (13 months old) is the excact same way. I will sit on the computer typing and he will come and pull on my legs and arm while he is whining. I finally figured out how to make him stop. You probably won't like what I have to do but it makes the whining and crying stop. I spend most of the time on the floor with him. I also move about the apartment and he follows me and when I am staying put for a while I sit on the floor with him. I just play with him or fold clothes on the floor, eat on the floor, and try to clean up once hes entertained with something. My son doesn't like to be alone so if I am sititng on the computer and he doesn't want to be in here, he wines until I get up and leave. He seriously follows me everywhere I go and as long as I interact with him he doesn't fuss at all. He can go all day without fussing if I do this. Not the most fun but I hate hearing him cry.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

My DS is 17 months and he started whining at 4 months and hasen't stopped. lol He does have a full set of teeth that started coming in around that time, so I figure the bad days were because of that. It does drive me nuts though. I am sure there is something that I am doing to encourage it. I am a SAHM so he does get a lot of attention so I must somehow inadvertantly reinforce his whining. I do at times try to ignore it but I feel bad. Also, he has learned that if I am ignoring his whining he can scream at the top of his lungs to get my attention. This I whisper "let's use our inside voice" but it doesn't really work, we will keep trying. Anyway I have no advice for you but I do feel your frustration. BTW DS does not whine all of the time, we do have some days that are more rough than others though. I know when DS understands what I am saying better I will be able to tell him that I will not answer to whining and if he needs something he will have to use a nice voice. Then I will ignore him until he can use a nicer tone of voice. At this age I don't really know what to do. I know how you feel about feeling like yelling "stop whining" at him, I feel that way to. I know yelling will not help and just make the situation worse but you never know I may accidently do it sometime. We are human and make mistakes we can only learn from them and not do it again. You sound like a great mom. Hang in there

Old 03-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

Besafe - what do you do while cooking dinner? I also try and do this and it works, but when I am in the kitchen my son hangs on my legs and whines the whole time. I do pick him up as much as possible but there are the parts of cooking when I am using a knife or need both hands. Sometimes when cooking I put in a baby einstein video and he will watch it for awhile. I try and cook really fast before he comes back in. Also if there are a lot of veggies that need to be cut I will precut them at naptime so that they are ready when I start dinner. Other than that I don't know what else to do.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Thanks guys! It's nice to know I'm not alone with this. I do spend a LOT of time down on the floor with her, but even when I'm there, she still whines and climbs on me. If I get up and try to get something done....ughh then it never ends, lol.

What I find helps when making dinner is if I precut everything at nap time and store it in the fridge untill I'm ready to make supper. Then when it's time to cook I put DD in her high chair in the middle of the kitchen so she can watch whats going on. I give her a few safe cooking utensils spoons/bowls/whatever happens to be around at the time and let her help me "cook" supper. She also has her own drawer in the kitchen which has all of her bottles and cups and whatnot in it, sometimes I'll open it and put the high chair next to it so she can take everything out and out it all back, lol. Though she's starting to think it's funny to open and close the drawer and I'm afraid she'll close it on her fingers so I don't do this too often anymore.

She's always been a bit clingy, but lately it's so bad I can hardly get all my housework done, and the whinning is driving me nuts :P. I really hope this is just some stage where she just need a little more encouragement........I'm pooped.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I don't cook that often. I am kinda bad like that... But when I do make something my husband either plays with him or we put him in his highchair with some goldfish crackers and play a baby einstein video. This really works! We always joke that baby einstein is a life saver. I know I am going to have to start making dinner every night when my son has teeth and can eat table food. Right now he has his two bottom ones that are just barely starting to come in. You can see the top of them if you look really close. He has been a late teether I guess. Right now our dinners are hamburger helper or whatever else is easy and fast. I really need to work on that.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I feel like I never have a moment to myself. I use his nap times to do stuff I have to do not want to do. Like clean the kitchen or finish laundry and everything else. My apartment can be a disaster sometimes. Dylan likes to "help" with the laundry. When I am taking things out of the hamper and putting them away, he is taking things out of the hamper and throwing clothes on the floor . It is like that with everything. He just loves to help!!!

Old 03-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

LOL Besafe!! My DD does the same thing! Or I'll throw the clothes on the end of the bed to fold and DD gets up there to "help" and throws them on the floor 1 by 1. I don't mind though, she could be doing worse things like colouring the wall because I didn't notice she had a crayon still hidden under her blanket when I put the rest away...

I know what you mean by never having a moment to yourself, I'm living here with MIL her Husband, BIL, DH, DD and myself they all work days and expect I have everything done when they get home, everyone but DH are such slobs. After I clean up our mess for the day and go to bed, when I get up the next day the place is a dissaster area again. No one even pick up there dirty socks. Eww. We have 2 wood stoves and when people bring in the wood they never clean up afterwards, they track mud and wood pieces all though the family room....half of the house I won't even let DD down in for fear of what she might find on the floor. I keep up as much as I can but I have my own things to take care of. We have kind of our own place downstairs which is clean and babyproofed. The rest of the house ....

Closed Thread