It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

SweetMama HB User
Question My Son

My son is 6 years old he keeps saying his head hurts only the last few days.

Nothin works for the pain he says.

Im taking him 2 the doctor today after he gets out of school.

Anyone else that have kids this age maybe some of you have been through this Please let me know.

~Lisa~

Old 03-18-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: My Son

Let us know what the doctor says, okay?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User

when my son was 5, he was getting headaches on and off for a while, then the headachs started becoming regular, they got so bad that he wouldnt eat (he loves to eat), he would lay on the couch or go to bed middle of the day, the headaches came on quickly no notice and got bad real fast, he would go from being perfectly fine to a deblitaing headaches in 1/2 hr to an hour. I felt bad for him. I got him into to the dr, dr decided she wanted him to go to a neurologist, neurologist wanted a MRI for him, and decided it was nothing more then migranes gave him migrane meds, but the MRI will tell. He got the MRI 1 day after his 6th bday. Results come back no migranes but there is and infection in his sinus cavity, put him on 1000 mg antibiotics daily for 3 weeks and sent up to and ear nose and throat(ENT) dr. ENT dr say well then infection shouldnt be causing headaches that he gets, he gets them in the back of his head, dr wanted a CT scan. CTscan say he has enlarged adnoids which is probably the cause of the headaches, but go to an allergist to see if he has any allergies. Allergist says allergic to dust but shouldnt cause the headaches. Back to the ENT dr, he says we could remove the adnoids but removing the adnoids could cause more problems and may not fix his problem, he says so give motrin and robitussin pe to reduce the swelling, he might out grow it. My son is now 8 yrs old, still gets headaches, I give him junior motrin, it helps. I need to get a drs note every year for school so he can take motrin at school. Last year we switched drs cus of insurance. New dr is giving me crap cus she doesnt think that it is his adnoids and wants to retest him to find out what it is.

I dont want to put my son though the MRI, ctscan and allergy tests to find out the same thing, plus his headaches have been getting better, he doesnt get them as much anymore. This new dr doesnt trust the diagnosis of his old dr, neurologist, ent or allergist, so it only make sense to redue all these tests under 1 1/2 years later. We have not had the tests redone.

I give my son the motrin when he gets a headache, if he starts getting 2 or more in a week I give him robitussin PE for several days or so. We have now learned to control the headaches on the most part. If we are going to go somewhere that we will be away from the house for more than an hour I have to bring his motrin with.

Have you tried motrin for your son? Motrin is the only thing that control my sons headaches. Also, the drs will probably tell you to keep a headache log for about a month, this log will need to contain...
date,
time it started,
how long it lasted,
what he ate the meal before the headache,
what has doing before the headache started,
What meds you gave him to try to get rid of headache,
and scale of pain 1 - 10.
I had to keep a log going through out the whole time of drs and tests which was from the end of September til March.

How did your sons appointment go? I hope everything turned out ok.

Last edited by bren7; 03-18-2005 at 05:31 AM.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:22 AM   #4
(female)

SweetMama HB User

Hi Again

The doctor said 2 keep him off sugar for awhile.

She also said it could be all the stress from his dad leaving he just left for iraq a few weeks ago and its been hard on him.

They took blood yesterday still havent heard anything.

If he still as the headaches in two weeks they wanna do more tests.

No he doesn't take motrin but i will have 2 try that.

I will keep you updated.

~Lisa~

Old 03-18-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
(female)

fouradss HB User

Another thing to watch that may sometimes be overlooked are vision problems. I know when it is time to go back to the optamoligist (sp) because I start having headaches. Watch him as he watches TV or colors, maybe it could be something simple like that. I hope he is doing better!

Closed Thread