It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

LadyoftheLake HB User
Private schools vs. Public Schools vs Home School

I know that my son is only 3, but my husband and I are deeply talking about his future education.

The public schools in our area aren't the greatest and I should know cause I went through them. The teachers don't help those that need it, the classrooms are packed, and it seems the children aren't getting the proper attention needed to gain a plentiful and well-rounded education. For example, my brother who is sooo smart barely passed his 7th grade class due to being lazy and not caring. My mother tried on her end and asked the his teachers and other school officals to help on their end, but no one cared too. All they sent home was a notebook for her to sign.

My husband and I are really considering private schools or home-schooling and I was wondering if anyone has any insight on both of these. We don't have alot of money, we get by but we aren't rich. I did some research and found a Montessori school that says they have financial aide. Does anyone know if the financial aide covers the whole cost, I assume it goes by annual income. Also how about home-schooling. Both my husband and I go to college, but on different days and my husband is able to do his whole shift on the weekends leaving him free for the rest of the week ( for the exception of his classes and any over-time he wishes to do) but I only go for two days a week and I don't work.

My plan is I only want the best for my son, I don't care if he isn't a genius and doesn't go to some wonderful college like Harvard or anything like that, I just want him to gain a good education and understand how important it is. I don't want to see him fall behind and drop out like so many other kids are doing these days. Any advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
(female)

dannysmom HB User
Re: Private schools vs. Public Schools vs Home School

I have one child who is school-age and I homeschool her. Originally I started because in the state where we lived she had to be 5 by Sept 1 to start K. Her b-day is in Oct and I really felt that she was ready. It was okay not too tough, I did it 3 days a week, and she really learned alot. She was reading by the end of the year. I had intended to send her to school for 1st grade but the age thing came up again. She needed to be 6 by Sept 1. So again we chose to homeschhol rather than have her repeat K. We are military and we were scheduled to move in the middle of her 2nd grade year so we just stuck with it. Our new state has less than desirable public schools and private school is soooo expensive here. So just the other day I received her 3rd grade materials and we are getting ready to start. Its not the easiest thing to do but I believe that we have made the right decision for our daughter.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

wow. you HAVE to be 6, for grade 1? where I live, if your birthday is between Sept-December, and your going into grade 1, you can be 5.

We are puuting my nephew, into a public school.. that seems pretty good. i like it (i was the one who registered him, etc), the classes arent packed..
but my mom would've put us is Private school.. because of less students, etc...but it is 1000$ a month(toooo much!).. at the ones around here

Old 08-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
(female)

dannysmom HB User

Yes, you have to be 6 in that state.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I agree that public schools are not at the standard we would like them to be. Private school may be a step up if you have the money. I don't recommend home schooling. Kids gain a lot socially ect.. from going to school. I would never home school my child and take them away from haivng school friends and participating in school activities. If you are there for your child's needs and teach that school is important he will be fine. I think that parenting has a lot to do with how much your child achieve when it comes to svhool. Goodluck with your decision. I don't think private schools make a big difference and I would save your money.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
(female)

hpybtms HB User

I started homeschooling my children a year and a half ago. My son (12) is going into 7th grade and my daughter (8) is about two months into 3rd grade. I wouldn't change my decision for anything. There are so many activities they can do that I'm not worried about losing friends or socialization. There's the YMCA, church groups and even other homeschooling students your kids can associate with. I use boxed curriculum because we need more structure but there are so many options out there for you! Check books out in the library to see if homeschooling is for you. There is a really good book out there that is called "Homeschooling on a Shoe String" that has really good ideas for homeschooling on a limited budget.

Good luck!

Kim

Old 08-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

We homeschool all 3 of our kids and love it! We started 2 years ago and we'll never go back to the public system. Most communities have homeschool groups and field trips for kids.

We have a lot more freedom to learn what we want, when we want, where we want. For example we do very little 'art' at home. We sketch at the zoo, paint at the bird sanctuary, doodle at the park, etc.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #8
(female)

LadyoftheLake HB User

Thanks for the replies. I'm seriously considering the homeschooling. I've been doing alot of research and it seems that even the most busy parents find the time to teach their children and I've been hearing that alot of homeschooled children usually are farther ahead then their public school mates. We already have our son enrolled in pre-school only because he was begging us to start school and we wanted him to make friends, but I know that he doesn't need to be in school to have time to socialize. Well I guess I have a couple more years to do my research, thanks for the replies.

By the way for those who homeschool, how many hours a day do you usually do it for? And for those who had their children in regular school then transfered to homeschool, are your children doing much better in their studies?

Old 08-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

For my kids in grades 1-3 we spend maybe 1 hour a day 'doing' schoolwork. The rest is dedicated to playing. It's amazing how much gets done when you play. Fine motor skills, gross motor skills, imagination, etc.

For grades 4-6 it's about 3 hours a day and my son in grade 7 will probably be 3-4 hours.

When they were in school they would fight a lot in the evenings because they were so tired. Now they rarely fight. Their imaginations have come back (ps had completely destroyed ANY imagination they once had).

I have two special needs kids and one gifted kid. My special needs kids are doing much better then if they were in school because they have one-on-one instruction. It really helps. My gifted child is doing better as well because she can study what interests her and go as fast as she wants. There is no one to hold her back except herself now. There's no teacher telling her to sit down and be quiet until everyone else is done their work.

Last edited by PinkPiglet; 08-28-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Old 08-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
(female)

hpybtms HB User

For me taking my kids out of public school really wasn't that difficult. My 12 yr. old son was constantly getting into trouble. He ran with the wrong types of boys. He's a follower and not a leader. I worried about peer pressure, drugs, and violence. It seemed I was always at the school. If it wasn't my son causing trouble I was having problems with his teacher. They seemed to only focus on the WASL and his other subjects were lacking. I put a lot of thought into homeschooling and have noticed my son's attention span is much better and he can get more one on one time with me.

My daughter was really easy taking out of public school because it was her first year. She went to Montessori for pre-school and kindergarten.

They both have different learning styles we focus on book work for 3 hours a day. I then correct their work and require them to fix their errors. Usually they have "homework" after my husband gets home. There "homework" consists of the errors they had that day. That can take anywhere from 30 min to a couple of hours. They also spend a couple of hours a day doing what they want on their computers.

They both seem to thrive on the individual attention they receive from me instead of competing with 30 plus students. They are doing really great on their studies and I know what they are learning.

hpybtms

Last edited by hpybtms; 08-28-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #11
(female)

mom'o'5 HB User

I know how you feel. I was PTA President at a public school and that experience taught me how dirty the system is. Now my kids are in a montessori school and we all love it. My financial aid covered the whole cost, so I assume that yours might too. I really want to homeschool, but with 5 kids and only 2 of them are school aged, it is not possible yet. But I would definately find some alternative to public school. Good luck to you!

Old 08-31-2005, 08:07 AM   #12
(female)

anakalia HB User

Here we go again. I did this before and my computer decided to shut down.
I did all three growing up and definitely preferred home schooling.

Elementary school was a disaster for me. The kids were, well, mean. I was taught to be nice to everyone and that got me teased and bullied on a daily basis. My first grade teacher called me stupid because it took me longer to catch on in math. By fifth grade I was extremely introverted. I hated any kind of recitation...so I 'coped' by not doing anything. The teachers response to that was to make me get up in front of class and explain why I hadn't done my work. That only made me angry and more defiant.

My sixth grade year I was homeschooled. I loved it. I could work at my own pace and there was no one there to make fun of me. For classes that my g-pa had trouble explaining we would go to homeschool groups. If a mom was good at one area she would teach those of us that had trouble. It was kind of like group tutoring. The other kids were very nice...to everyone and I can't remember ever hearing an unkind word. The next year I had to return to school. I went to private school for jr. high and high school and that was better than public school. But the structure of the class and the amount of school work and homework was often very overwhelming.

My cousin was homeschooled for all of her years and really did well. The YMCA offered sports teams. These teams played against schools or other homeschool groups. They also had a lot of field trips. Much easier to do when you don't have to get 20 parents permission and a bus...because the parents get to go too. I have other cousins that are 15-18 and taking college classes as well as there high school classes.

Kids who are homeschooled...from my experience....turn out better than those who aren't. (As teenagers, especially. They are a lot less rebellious and seem to have better relationships with there parents.) I have yet to hear of any downfalls to homeschooling. Most kids are better socially when they are homeschooled because parents have more involvement and can see when and where the child needs guidance/correction.

My DH and I have decided to homeschool definitely during the grade school years and then, depending on how my DS does, give him the option of private school (if we can afford it) or continuing home school and then for high school giving him the option of any one.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:10 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I would give your public school a try. Things could have improved since you went there. How bad can they mess up kindergarten? With kingergarten you can help out in the classroom and see the teacher in action. I believe that the school can't do it all alone. That the parents have to do their part after school. By this I mean that you have to ask if he has homework. You must make sure he does it, and then you have to check it over. If he made mistakes like in math, you have to tell him that he did it wrong. If need be you must explain to him how to figure it out.

When it is the day before a test, you must quiz him on the subject. If he has a report to do, you must take him to the library and help him find all the materials he will need to do the report. You have to guide him, proof read his work for spelling errors, etc. You do not do his work for him, but point out his mistakes and have him correct them before turning it in to the teacher.

I picked my girls up every day from school and asked how their day went. I asked about each subject that they had. Like what did you do in math today? Do you have any homework? Is there going to be a test soon?
They were so used to me showing interest in their school work, that if I did not ask about their day right away, they were mad.

Both of my girls graduated with 4.0 GPA in high school. They knew that their parents took their education seriously and that we expected high grades. When parents take a serious interest in their child's education from kindergarten until graduation from high school their children succeed.

You will be partners with your child's public school teacher. They teach during the day and you are the assistant to the teacher at home.

So give the public school a try. If it does not work out, you can always try private or home schooling.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:53 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User

I hate to rain on the home school fan club here, but I have to. Don't do it unless you plan on having children (other then homeschoolers) around for your children to spend LOTS of time with. I know alot of families that home school and it is the same every where you go. The children are very smart and advanced but socially they are VERY immature. The sad part is is the parents don't see it, the kids don't see it, but every one that is on the outside looking in sees it. I could write pages here about every one I know that is home schooled and socially behind. But I am going to give only a few examples. My mom has a close friend with twin girls the same age as my sister. Of course, the parents being close friends wish there children to be close. Those twins get along very well with my other sister who is 5 yrs younger then them. Whenever the families get together, the hang out with the younger sister. Then I was at my friends wedding and there was a group of us between 20 and 25 yrs old seated at the same table. The one child was home schooled and had just started college. The whole night we just stared at him because his sense of humor and mannerisms were so far behind ours. He was laughing at things and saying things that left us feeling like we had a 12 yr old child at our table. I am not going to go on and on with examples but I could. Their parents have no idea that this is the way it is. They think that there child is so ahead in schooling that they must be ahead of the rest of the world. I know all the home school parents are going to come back to me and say that is not true. Well, I challange you to spend one day in a school (public or private) in the grade your child should be in. Observe what the interests and activities are of these children and then step back and observe your child. I know you are thinking, that the children in school are doing drugs and yours isn't or something along those lines. Those aren't the activities and interests I am talking about. My sisters and I have gone to private school. However my mom took out my one sister for 2 yrs to home school her. It was cheaper and easier and she was ahead but she had a hard time getting into the swing of things (socially) when she went back. My parents are in debt to the private school and also have financial aid. One of reasons we went is public schools are horrible around here.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
(female)

mom'o'5 HB User

Why give all the money to the public schools if the parents have to do most of the work anyway, and they can mess you up in kindergarten. They wanted to teach my son about sex ed. in kindergarten. To me that is repulsive, and it's also my job. They were also teaching him certain "historical facts" that I won't mention bc it will start a riot, that were totally age inappropriate. I also disagree about the social issue. Kids that are homeschooled aren't socially inadequate, they socialize with better people. At least when you homeschool you can choose who they socialize with, rather than in public school where they succumb to all kinds of peer pressure and defiant behavior. It's totally acceptable these days to be pregnant, on drugs, disrespectful, etc.; during your highcshool years. My cousin is in highschool now, and she said they pass out birth control right there at school. And if you're pregnant and you want to have an abortion or get a prenatal exam, you can leave during school hours to meet your appointment without your parents knowing. That is ridiculous! The only way to fully know what is going on in your childs life or with thier education is to homeschool. In my opinion of course.

Closed Thread