It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 AM   #1
(female)

ForeverKnight HB User
Question on Home Schooling

I read a while ago here someone talking about homeschooling and a program that they purchased online.

Does anyone have any good information for homeschooling programs. Currently I have my daughter in a Montessorri school but its proving to be difficult financially but I love the way the children learn there. I want to find some sort of program that I can do with my daughter. *please let me know the name of the program so I can look for it... Im sure posting websites on here isnt allowed*

Thankyou for your time guys!

Old 11-03-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: Question on Home Schooling

How old is your daughter? I know that you can order the Montessori products for your own home (which may be just as expesive as sending her to the shcool) And there are so many books out there about the method and how to use it at your own home. I was studying to be a Montessori infant teacher and the library was packed with books. I wish I could give you more info about homeschooling. You might also want to look into a teachers supply store and see what they have there in terms of home education.

I hear you about the $$. I really want to send DS there, but I don't think the wallet can handle it. Are there more than one near you? Many of them do scholarships. May be worth looking into. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
(female)

LivnLaughnLovn HB User

It can really get expensive. A few years ago our evaluator told us about a program opening up that included our school district. It was strictly for Central PA so I doubt a website would help you anyway, but contact your school district and ask if they have a "charter school" program. All the books, supplies, computer ... everything I needed ... even a lesson plan (to go at your own pace). I had answer keys and such for homework and we sent tests to them, they graded them and sent them back. It was a great program and you could choose from several different "charter" schools. My sons curriculum came from Calvert school. This was ALL free to me, as the school district HAS to pay. The districts get 10,000 (at least here) per school age student to educate them whether they are home schooled or not. It is that money they use to pay the charter schools. I didn't take the computer (that had to be returned at the end of the year) because we have one and an additional one would have just been in the way, but everything else was just so nice. Much easier than the homeschooling I did previously. Anyway, just an option for you to check into. Good luck

Old 11-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
(female)

pewagner1 HB User

I homeschool three children(12,9, & 8) and tailor-make their curriculum based on each child's intrests. We do unit studies frequently.
The best book out there for the info you are looking for is Homescholing for Dummies. I've read many books on homeschooling and this is by far the best regarding curriculum and a general blueprint on how to get started. I ordered mine used off Amazon for $5. It has been well worth it.
The average cost for my family is about $800 a year for our curriculum, well below the cost to send them to a private school. Good Luck.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

We homeschool our three kids. What type of material are you looking for? Christian or non-Christian? Workbook based or video school? Online? or even unschooling? I would do a search for homeschooling websites. There is a LOT of information out there.

Jeannie

Old 11-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
(female)

ForeverKnight HB User

Thankyou Kiera1595 I will see about other Montessoris in town and see if they do any scholarships or financial aid. I will also try to look into possible lesson plans from the school I can do at home. My daughter will be 8 by the end of the month.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #7
(female)

ForeverKnight HB User

LivnLaughnLovn, Im pretty sure the schools around here have a home based computer lesson but we will be moving soon so Im not to sure about the schools in the new area. I will check it out Thankyou!

Old 11-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
(female)

ForeverKnight HB User

pewagner1, Wow, its costing us $800 a month and thats split into two paychecks. Its really putting us in a bind even cutting out many necessities . Sounds like a book I should definetely check out. Thankyou very much.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:47 PM   #9
(female)

ForeverKnight HB User

PinkPiglet, ideally we would like to find an unschooling method and program. I have been doing searches online but its proving difficult sadly but I wont give up. I would apreciate any information if you find any. Thankyou for your advice!

Old 11-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

If you google "unschooling" there are a lot of support and information sites out there. We don't unschool so it's tough for me to give you a lot of information. However, I have indeed noticed how easy it is for my kids to pick up and understand a lot of things without having to 'learn' about it. Good luck

Jeannie

Old 11-12-2005, 08:31 AM   #11
(female)

worldtraveler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPiglet
Christian or non-Christian?
What a negative way to look at the world! Yikes.

Old 11-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

What are you talking about? Some people want Christian curriculum and some don't. I'm just asking a question.

Jeannie

Old 11-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #13
(female)

worldtraveler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPiglet
What are you talking about? Some people want Christian curriculum and some don't. I'm just asking a question.

Jeannie
It was just the way you phrased it. Rather than say religious or non-religious, you put the world in two camps: xtian or non-xtian, almost like saying anti-xtian. It sounds like it wasn't your intent, but it came across as very arrogant. Fortunately, homeschooling is beginning to escape its negative image due to extreme right-wing xtians, but when you specificially said "Christian" as opposed to religious, it seemed to reinforce that narrow image of homeschooling that many unfortunately still have.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:23 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

The materials for homeschooling are (as far as I can see) seperated into two camps. Christian and non-Christian. Not religious. I've never seen Hindu, New Age, Muslim, etc homeschool materials.

I have seen Christian materials and materials that don't have any Christian references at all.

Thus, Christian or not Christian.

Jeannie

Old 11-13-2005, 11:27 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

I know some people who want absolutely no mention of God or the Bible in their curriculum. This is why I asked. I have no idea why I'm being told I'm arrogant.

Closed Thread