It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

mercedes10 HB User
12 yrs old have terrible menstral cramps

Hi All,

Need some advice from other parents with pre-teens. I have a 12 year old that just started her monthly cycle. I walked her through the 1st month fine. She seemed okay, but during her 2nd month she had to miss two days of school because she was crying in pain (cramps) in the nurse's office all morning. I though it was just the hormonal changes that was happening to her body but her crying lasted almost all day in addition to her throwing up her breakfast.

At any rate, she was sent home from school due to the ongoing crying. What can I give her to alleviate the cramping? I called the Doctor and he suggested Advil. Any other suggestions? I am concern about her taking Advil every month at such a young age.

Secondly, I don't want her to miss school one to two days per month due to her cramping but what else can I do to help the situation?

Old 12-14-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User
Re: 12 yrs old have terrible menstral cramps

I had really bad cramping when I first started my period. Heating pads helped as did Advil. Eventually my mom put me on the pill and it all went away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I suffered through horrible cramps with nausea and fainting and curling up in a ball and missing school. I tried heating pads and tylenol and ibuprofen, but nothing worked. I did that from 6th grade all the way through high school. I finally saw a gynecologist before I went off to college and went on birth control, and finally the pain was gone (or at least reduced to the point where a tylenol or two takes care of it). Also, the pills have shortened my period from 10 days of heavy bleeding to 3-4 days of light to moderate bleeding. So I definitely have no regrets about doing it, and wish I had done it sooner!

Just something to consider if the other options don't work out. I think one of the other things that the doc offered me was prescription naproxen sodium to be taken starting a few days or so before the period was supposed to start. I didn't try that, because I didn't think I'd ever remember to take it.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Some advil for a few days each month is not going to be bad for her. Heating pads may work. Also warm baths are nice. Plus it may just take a while for her to get "used" to having cramps..it's somethings she's never experienced before.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

My daughter hasn't started yet but is experiencing monthly cramps. I mentioned this to my gyny and he said it was her ovaries developing.

For my painful periods (had them all my life, at their best when on the pill) I put a hot water bottle on my lower back and one on my lower tummer, excersise is good too, it also takes your mind off it.

She will get used to it, it is a shock to the system at first, give her lots of hugs.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
(female)

Kelen HB User

It's possible she may not get the cramps every moths, at least not as bad as this second time round, but the best thing to suggest is to take a menstrual pill, like Midol or something. Many people take them every moth for cramps so I'm not sure it should be too concerning if your daughter takes them a few times a month, I started taking them often on my first day of my period since I was 15 or so, as the first few years of my period didn't give me cramps. Or she could go on the pill, if she doesn't and she's experiencing pain like this every month I don't see how she'll be able to avoid missing a a day or two of school every month.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:00 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

There is Tylenol Menstral I used to use that often and it really seemed to help. I feel bad for your daughter. I remember being sick to my stomach and having horrible cramps and just feeling so...blah. I would lay on the couch with the heating pad on my tummy and sip some hot tea, and finally hours later I would feel better. Being a woman sucks sometimes.

If the cramps continues, find out about getting her on a low dosage pill. I know that I would be iffy about putting my 12 yr old on the pill, but if I knew that it would help her feel better and that she wouldn't be spending her day/days in the nurses office crying I would do it. Let here try some otc medicines first and see if they help, then go from there.

Good Luck, and I feel for you and for her.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
(female)

Deena_05 HB User

I'm not a parent, but I was browsing the list of forums, and this caught my attention. I have and have had almost the same thing as your daughter. I have very severe cramps, and every month I get extremely sick. I literally can't move, and whenever I can muster the strength to do so, I end up throwing up. I run fevers, and all that kind of stuff, so it's not fun. I suffered through most of high school with these cramps. I would go to school, but towards the middle of the day it became too much to bear...I can tolerate pain extremely well, but during my period all I could do and wanted to do was cry. I got put on Naprosyn (Naproxen is the generic which you can get in stores) and it seemed to help pretty well combined with a hot bath for about 30 minutes. When I got older and everything started to get more extreme I was put on 500 mgs of Naproxen which I'm still taking now. You should call your daughters doctor and ask if it would be okay that she could take Naproxen - on the label it says it should be okay, but you should always call your doctor beforehand just to make sure. But, it also could take a while for it to work, and remind your daughter to take it as it says, I learned the hard way. If she also has a regular period, and it comes on schedule, and after you consult her doctor, I was told to start taking it a week before my period starts. Good luck, and I hope your daughter feels better =]

Old 12-30-2005, 07:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I too had TERRIBLE cramps all my life. I'd try to go to school and end up checking out because I had fainting, hotflashes, the whole nine yards. I just wanted to curl up in a ball and die. I took prescription Motrin (800mg's) every 8 hours and extra strength Tylenol every 4-6 alternating. I LOVE the doc who told me to do this. It helps so much. Heating pads and hot baths help too.

After I started the pill at 21 they got much better, and after I had my first baby, I barely had any cramps at all. After I had my second, they came back and they were BAD. The female body is such a mystery. I got the Mirena IUD put in, and have felt 1,000 times better since.

Not that you want her on the pill or anything, but my point is that there are so many crazy things that affect our bodies, and you never know what it's going to be.

Some people don't seem to understand how bad cramps can be. I had my second baby with an epidural that didn't work, and I felt pretty much everything. I'd trade that for the cramps I had any day! LOL.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 12-30-2005 at 07:33 AM.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

My periods were horrific for me too. I started mine when I was 12. The first month was ok, but from the 2nd month on..........they were horrible. I would run fevers, period would last for 7+ days and be extremely heavy, and I often had vomiting for the first couple of days. I finally had to be put on prescription ibuprofen, which did help with the pain, but did nothing to change the flow or length of my period. That didn't change til after I had my first baby!!!

My daughter recently turned 11 and just had her first period on Thanksgiving Day. It lasted long (7 days) and was heavy, but she had no pain. She hasn't yet gotten another period, but I'm curious to know how the next one will be.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User

my daughter has the same problem she just started in October, she was 11/12 now. She also gets severe nausea and has missed some school days, She's missed maybe 5 days the whole year 2 of which were for me having a baby and her school sent home a threatening "truancy" letter. So it's hard to keep her home now. I just have to give her advil or something and send her to school as much as I hate too. I feel really bad for her. I still have issues with mine. I was put on the pill at 14 or so for Ovarian cyst so she'll probably be the same way.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

I didn't discover naproxen until I was in my twenties, but I consider it my lifesaver. For at least two days out of every month I was hurting so bad that I missed school or work. Tyenol seemed to give me gas, so I didn't take it much and just bared with it before this wonder drug.
My neighbor friend has a daughter who is 12/13 who just had an ovary removed do to a very large cyst. She also has Endometriosis. This is something that I found I also had and is one of the main reasons for the pelvic pain that I experienced.
Do some research on Endometriosis and have her doctor check for it at her next exam.
Wishing her well!

Old 01-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
(female)

Fiadh HB User

Oh, I had terrible cramps during and after my second month, complete with nausea and irritability. I was also unfortunate enough to get a bout of near-crippling cramps on the day of my high school entrance exams...but let's not go into that. Heat helps a lot, things like hot water bottles and hot baths. Like someone else said, exercise will help take her mind off it. It's also a matter of her getting used to them.

I'm 14 and I still have like a day every month when I'm doubled over in pain (like TODAY...I feel awful). I've learned to keep myself occupied with other things to get through it. It's getting better every time. At least I'm not curling up and shivering like I was the first few times it happened.

Good luck with everything!

Closed Thread