It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User
hyper active children

Im at my ropes end with my 4 year old. He has to always be talking, and moving. Not just in general but to me! He has to have my constant attention. "Mom Look at me, Im rubbing my head on the wall!" Mom look at me Im like a baby, gagagoogoo." Yes I do have a 7 month old but he was like this before. I stay home and we have a pretty structured day. I love both my children the same and try to share the attention. Its so hard with him though because he wants 100% of everything. He has trouble sharing toys. He will put them in a pile and lay on them if he doesnt want other kids to touch them and he will scream (of course) if any one tries to make him share. He always intterupts when grown ups are talking and if I send him to his room to play quietly he stands in the door way calling me asking if he is done. If I tell him no, go play, he will stand in the doorway banging toys together for attention. Today at church he wasnt getting enough attention in his childrens class so he was up on the table jumping and screaming. He is very impulsibe and has tons of energy. Sometimes I will have him look at me and take deep breaths to calm down and I can feel his body trembling.
He is also turning into a spoiled rotten little boy. He asked for a treasure boat for christmas for 2 months and the other day he came and dropped it on the floor and said "I dont like this anymore, you can throw it away." I played along, and got a trash bag and started to put it in it and he said "thats fine" and walked away. He also is very rude to his father and likes to boss him around. I could go on and on. Im just not looking forward to starting another week. Im turning in to a mean mom! I just want to run away.

I do want to add that weare big on time outs.
We have also tried taking toys away but since he doesnt like them anyway that doesnt work.
We also spank his bottom and we continue to do so because it seems to be the most effective of all punishments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User
Re: hyper active children

Let me add that I am his step mom but also his primary caregiver. He has another mom who calls once or twice a month. But I am Mommy to him.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User
Re: hyper active children

With the sharing. Maybe you could try having him choose certain toys he is ok with sharing before his guests arrive. He can keep his special toys locked up for later. If he does not share his chosen toys then he does not get to join in with the other kids.

When he stands in the doorway to his room and demands your attention - do not give it to him unless he asks you in a nice way. Expect him to give you the same respect you give him.

Talk to him about whats expected with his behavior. Have him earn things rather than have things taken away from him.

Closed Thread