It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Question is it important for kid to be outside daily?

My parents pushing me to change daycare 'cause provider doesn't take kids outside, at least not in winter. They sayed that dd looks pale and even her blood can change. This daycare is not perfect but have lot of good points and I really don't want to fix what's not broken.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shelliam HB User
Re: is it important for kid to be outside daily?

My kids never go outside at the sitters and I probably prefer it that way. If you trust these people and like them that is a great reason to stay. Sunshine is what people need to help process some vitamins. That is a rarity during this season anyway so leave the shades open and she will be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

I would definately ask them to take the kids out every day! Sunshine/fresh air are vital. There are so many indoor pollutants that I can't imagine not breathing some clean air once in a while.

Sunshine is not just important for vitamins. Some people get very depressed without sunshine. I know I always have a tougher time in December/January due to shorter days and less sunshine.

What kind of excercise is your child getting if they are shut up in a house all day? Even little ones need excercise. You drive them there first thing in the morning, they stay inside all day, you pick them up and take them home for supper and then they go to bed. No time to run? No time to get energy out of them? Kids need to run and play and get excercise. Obesity is at an all time high with children because of the sedentary lifestyle of tv and video games.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I don't think it's necessary for them to go out daily, but I do think it's important for them to go out frequently. Mine usually go outside several times a week, but not every day.

Believe it or not, cold air is actually good for you during the winter! My kids just had RSV and kept having complications. My DS got a sinus infection and bronchitis. My doctor told me that I keep my house too warm (we are all cold natured) and warm air increases respirations per minute which increases mucous production, which increases drainage into the lungs. He told me to take them out in the morning while it is still nice and cool (I live in South Texas and it's still 70-80 degrees in the afternoon) and let them get some cold fresh air.

I thought he was crazy, but I tried it, and it made a HUGE difference, as did setting my thermostat on 70 (instead of 75). They were on antibiotics, but I began noticing a difference before the AB's could have really kicked in.

My grandmother used to be famous for this phrase when she addressed my mother who was anti dirty kids and paranoid about having me outside in the cold or the heat when I was a toddler: "Kids are like plants. Dirt and sunshine make 'em grow." I've adopted this philosophy and my kids have always been incredibly healthy. As a matter of fact, this is only the second time me DS has been on antibiotics (he's 2 1/2) and the first for my 9 months old DD.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 01-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I am taking my daughter to a small daycare which has reasonable price and hours. Daycare person is alone and watching her own grandkids as well ,one of them is baby another older. She doesn't have a fence and only thing she does when it is warmer taking them to park on the van.
Good points is food part ( although my parents not sure about it) and education. Lady has special education in teaching kids and we like the progress dd make. I am full time mom and my career required constant learning. I am happy that she is learning at daycare.
Anyway we can't force this lady to change, we have to take kid out of it. I don't know if it worth it just because she is not taking her outside.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I say that you have to do what your heart tells you is the right thing to do. Paleness in the middle of winter is not an adequate reason to find a new sitter IMO. I also feel that when your parents give an opinion on your child, it is simply that... An opinion. I would thank them for their advice and that's it. The rest is up to you.

Do kids HAVE to go outside daily, I don't think so at all. Spring is coming back around so there will be plenty of days for her to get out and play. As long as this woman is providing her with plenty of opportunities to play and also interacting with her, that should be adequate. Good luck

Closed Thread