It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
picky eater

My 2 yr. old son is so picky when it comes to eating. He will not eat things we eat. The only things he will usually eat are peanut butter and jelly or turkey and cheese sandwiches, spaghettio o's, hamburger helper, pizza, and macoroni and cheese. The only fruit he will eat is a banana, and for breakfast he usually will eat cereal, grits, and toast. When he was a little baby he would eat just about anything , he loved vegetables now I can't even get him to eat mashed potatoes. I forgot, he does like fish sticks. How do I get him to eat stuff like chicken, rice, potatoes, corn, etc.?

The following user gives a hug of support to lil'momma:
EdnaMarie (03-27-2011)
Old 01-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
(female)

Copsgrl8 HB User
Talking Re: picky eater

I have the same problem with my son he is 19 months old.
Of course your child seems to like more than my son does.

Have you tired letting him fed himself? My son seems to eat better or more when I give him the spoon.

My son will eat chicken and his veggies BUT that's about it...No kidding. He will have dry cereal for breakfast and lunch he usually won't eat. He will munch on some crackers here and there but that's very unlikely.
If he sees my daughter eating something he will sometimes TRY that but more times than not he won't like it.
It seems he goes through phases every few days where he will cry for chicken and than the next few days he will want nothing but fruit. He likes the dole peaches, strawberries, and bananas.

I know I shouldn't complain cuz he is eating chicken and veggies BUT I can't make chicken every night.

I tell you kids sure keep you on your toes

~Terri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: picky eater

The only thing that worked for us was to give them time. As they get older, the same old foods become more boring. That is when mine have branched out. My 3 year old is still very picky but the Ped says that as long as he isn't losing weight, he is fine. This is just another one of those joys of motherhood

Old 01-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #4

lil'momma HB User

thanks. I guess I won't worry , but I sure hope he will start trying other things. Yes he feeds himself.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'momma
My 2 yr. old son is so picky when it comes to eating. He will not eat things we eat. The only things he will usually eat are peanut butter and jelly or turkey and cheese sandwiches, spaghettio o's, hamburger helper, pizza, and macoroni and cheese. The only fruit he will eat is a banana, and for breakfast he usually will eat cereal, grits, and toast. When he was a little baby he would eat just about anything , he loved vegetables now I can't even get him to eat mashed potatoes. I forgot, he does like fish sticks. How do I get him to eat stuff like chicken, rice, potatoes, corn, etc.?
We ran into the same issue when my dd was about 2 yrs old. My mother kept telling me it was normal & not to worry, but I had to talk to the ped to be sure. Sure enough... she was right. The ped told me many kids get to a point when they will only eat when they are hungry & that might not be every time WE are ready to eat. The ped told me as long as she was eating at least 1 good meal every other day & getting enough liquid, she would be fine. Sure enough, she was fine & ate when she was hungry... some days she barely seemed to eat, while other days she couldn't get enough food. Now, at 4 yrs old, she eats more "normal". 5 or so small "meals" a day works best for her, though... breakfast, lunch, dinner & snack.

Your son is still young, but if you are still concerned you should call the ped & check if everything is ok with him.

I would suggest trying to offer him new foods, but don't try to force them on him. Hopefully when he's older he will start to eat a bigger variety. At 4 yrs old, our dd now eats what we eat for dinner.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
(female)

TracyS42 HB User

I know what you mean about the eating thing. Personally I think we adults are a bit too pushy when it comes to eating food. Kids will eat if and when they are hungry...its a waste of time trying to make them like anything new.

I never made "meals" for my kids. I used to make a platter of food in the morning (or afternoon if they were in school)...with nibblys on...eg pieces of cheese/ham/apple/orrange/carrot/crackers/bread/leftover food like cold roast chicken.....mostly good stuff and just put it out for them when they looked hungry (fridged it between times) and topping it up.

Snacking is better for kids than 3 square meals...as their little stomachs dont get overloaded and the "I'm full" trigger doesnt get impaired. When you dont offer the kids your grownup meals...they get curious quicker. When they start pinching your food on a regular basis....you'll start providing them a plate of their own.

My kids are 16 and 13 now, tall slim, healthy...no eating disorders, good teeth. To get them to try different foods was a fun time....as we introduced the eating icky things for a dollar (after age 7). If they had a mouthful and could chew swallow for a minute...they got the money. It was only an occassional thing....to introduce stuff they thought they didnt like (but had never eaten) like tomatoes, olives, chilli, curry etc. And after they did it once...they never got paid for the same food twice. It DID have the desired effect because they did take a liking to some.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

I worked at a daycare and there were a few picky kids there. I was taught to try to make the food more attractive and give a few selections. We would offer maybe a few kinds of fruit or make them into shapes with cookie cutters and making sure the color are different so everything on their plate is not all the same colors. We also had a rule that you had to take a bite of everything on your plate. Some of the kids turned their noses up but when they tried something they actually liked it. It worked for some of the picky eaters but not all. Hopefully it will help your picky eater.

Closed Thread