It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

Copsgrl8 HB User
Talking Thumb Sucking

My daughter is 4.5 and sucks her thumb when she is either tired or being shy....Sometimes when she is watching TV also.
I never thought of it as a problem but her preschool teacher has mentioned to me in many different occasions. She told me during "circle time" or "story time" Emily will suck her thumb.
I told her it's like her security and we never saw it as big deal. She told me she could give me some pointers on helping her to stop.

I can't say I was mad at her teacher but I was a bit taken back. Does anyone's child suck their thumb and at what age did they stop? When do you think it's a problem if one at all?

Thanks

::Terri::

Old 01-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Re: Thumb Sucking

Don't lose sleep over this, Copsgrl8. My young cousin sucked his thumb until he was about 8 years old, and he eventually just grew out of it. His parents never did anything to make him stop, and sometimes they would just be funny with him and ask him if his thumb tasted good. Kids suck their thumbs for any number of reasons, ranging from anxiety to boredom.

Honestly, I only think it would be a problem if the skin on your daughter's thumb started to fall off

Like most childhood habits, this one will pass.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User
Re: Thumb Sucking

My 3.5 daughter sucks her thumb all the time; riding in the car, walking down the street (one hand holding mine, the other in her mouth), watching TV, etc. My older daughter never even used a pacifier.

I talked to our pediatrician who said to leave it alone. The more you try to make them stop, the worse it will become. If you make it a battle ground, the parent is sure to lose since it is the child's thumb afterall. She gave me some literature, however, that said 5 is the earliest to try to do anything. It must be the child's decision and you are there to help him/her as a reminder, but not try to force it.

When my daughter started preschool this past year I made it a point to tell her teacher we don't draw any attention to it and I would prefer is she didn't either. She said that was fine and she wouldn't say anything to her about it. And I've noticed others in her class doing the same. Perhaps you could tell your child's teacher that you have done some research (providing that we people on this message board are your research) and that you have decided to wait and ignore and you would prefer she leave it alone also while your child is at school.

I have thought about this and it does break my heart. But I think what will eventually make my daughter stop is going to school and the peer pressure. But if it's not a thumb, kids will find something else to say anyway. That's just part of childhood, unfortunately.

So for now, I say leave it alone!

Last edited by sem627; 01-18-2006 at 09:00 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Closed Thread