It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

aln030482 HB User
Question Vacation.... without the children???

I am planning a vacation for this spring, however, it's for myself. My husband isn't able to join me because of work, and I really wanted some time to myself anyways. Is it unethical or morally wrong to want a vacation for myself? My children are 6, 4 1/2, 3, and 18 months who has CP (yes, there are 4), and truthfully, I, nor my husband have taken a vacation since we've started our family. A part of me knows that this is okay and healthy, but there is a huge part of me that feels guilty and selfish. Any advice out there regarding this topic?

Old 01-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: Vacation.... without the children???

I think it is fine for you to take vacation separately.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Honey, you've earned that vacation!!!!!! Do not feel bad. I understand how you feel. I even feel guilty leaving the house for a few hours. But I know I need it and so I do it every day. It's really hard when I don't have a lot of time with my husband to begin with, then to leave and be by myself, I sometimes feel bad.

I haven't had a vacation in 3 years (for more than 2 days) And I'm going crazy! I can't imagine going for 6 years. Take your trip. Get a massage. Sit in the bath and eat chocolates. You have earned it! When mom's happy, everyone is happy! Wish I could go with you.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
(female)

aln030482 HB User

Thanks for your advice and support. I really appreciate it!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I haven't taken a vacation yet without my child, but DH and I used to take separate vacations. I'd go visit friends or relatives in a warmer climate during the winter and DH didn't care to hang out with his inlaws or my girlfriends. And I really didn't care to go to nascar races or to vegas with DH and his buddies. That's not to say we never went on vacation together -- we've also gone on cruises or to Mexico with other couples.

I say go for it. My ideas of a vacation is relaxing on the beach, reading lots and lots of novels I never have time for anymore, going shopping, site seeing and out to eat. If you took the kids you'd be worrying about their needs -- feeding them, entertainment, medications... You need time to yourself to recharge your batteries.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

I have gone without my kids. I have 3 (2 with special needs). 2 years ago I went to Nashville with a friend of mine and had a wonderful time. I did miss my children but I really wanted a break. I don't think I NEEDED a break but I WANTED one. I went for 5 days and it was fun.

If you can and you have the finances and babysitters and whatever else you need, I'd go for it.

Closed Thread