It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
disagree with husband on potty training

My 3y old resists potty training. She doesn't want to sit on the toilet, do in her pants if we don't put a diaper and so on.
Pediatritian suggested to leave her alone, she will train herself when she will be ready, society put pressure on us to train kids by certain age. And my husband wants us to follow it.
I think we should keep trying and force her to sit on a toilet at least after food.
Also is potty better than regular toilet with kid sit?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
(female)

aln030482 HB User
Re: disagree with husband on potty training

I don't know if anyone else will agree with me, but I have successfully potty trained 2 children and am going through the same problems as you are with my 3rd... all girls.
I didn't use a potty chair when training. I did however buy a smaller seat so the children didn't feel like they would "fall in".... which was a popular complaint. I would sit them on the potty after meals (30 mins or so afterwards) and while I was running the bath water (which was in the evening).
I really didn't push any of the children either. My first, now 6, was daytime potty trained at 3 1/2 and fully potty trained at 4. My second, now 4 1/2, was daytime potty trained at 2 and fully potty trained at 3. My third, just turned 3yrs. old, doesn't have an interest in the potty at all, so we are just introducing the potty etc.
I hope this helped. Good luck too, I know it isn't easy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

aln030482 HB User

I don't know if anyone else will agree with me, but I have successfully potty trained 2 children and am going through the same problems as you are with my 3rd... all girls.
I didn't use a potty chair when training. I did however buy a smaller seat so the children didn't feel like they would "fall in".... which was a popular complaint. I would sit them on the potty after meals (30 mins or so afterwards) and while I was running the bath water (which was in the evening).
I really didn't push any of the children either. My first, now 6, was daytime potty trained at 3 1/2 and fully potty trained at 4. My second, now 4 1/2, was daytime potty trained at 2 and fully potty trained at 3. My third, just turned 3yrs. old, doesn't have an interest in the potty at all, so we are just introducing the potty etc.
I hope this helped. Good luck too, I know it isn't easy.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS is 2 1/2 and has expressed no interest. He can have a full diaper and I'll ask him if he needs changing, if he has a poopy diaper and he tells me he doesn't. Other times, he'll yell, Mommy, change my diaper! Usually it's a poopy one, but the other day it was wet. So we're working on it -- having him sit on the potty or potty chair, but the one time he actually pooped on the potty it scared him so much -- freaked him out that poop came out of his butt. He tells me No poop in the tub, no poop in the pool, but I can't get him to commit to pooping on the potty.

Also, I change his diaper before nap time, right before bed and he's always wet. And I've read your child is ready to train if they stay dry for x number of hours. He's usually sopping wet.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

summertyme HB User

What worked for me was to put my daughter in big girl underwear with Dora the Explorer on it--I made a BIG deal about the Dora undies and what a big girl my daughter was. I told her "Don't tee-tee or poo-poo on Dora. She doesn't want to be tee-teed or poo-pooed on." Then, when my daughter did go in her underwear, I took the dirty undies off, made my daughter help me clean them up and told her "You can't wear the Dora undies again until you start going in the potty. Dora doesn't want you to tee-tee and poo-poo on her." Then I put plain white undies on her. In one morning my daughter was potty-trained. That was a VERY long morning for me, but it was so worth it. She only messed up about 3 pairs of underwear, and then started using the potty. I had to remind her and help her out a lot at first, but within a week or two she was going No. 1 completely by herself. I still to this day help her wipe with No. 2, but it's so much easier. Oh, she did wear Pull-ups at night probably for another year or so, because I didn't want to have to be bothered with always changing her bed, but she had very few accidents.

I used a small potty seat that fit on the toilet because I didn't want her to get used the potty chair and then have to use the big toilet later. Hopefully this method will also work with my son, who is just over 2 1/2.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:56 AM   #6
(female)

LM80 HB User

I have 2 daughters and I agree with your doctor. I think society does push children to do things at a certain age.
I've visited lots of parenting forums and sometimes it amazes me when I read certain messages. People being worried that their 1 year old isn't walking or talking, etc.
My mother raised 6 children, so I often go to her for advice. The thing she always said to me was "No two children are alike." And I definitely agree with her.
My 1st daughter was 2 years old when she potty-trained herself. I did nothing. She saw me going to the toilet and one day she just decided she was going to use it as well! She had absolutely no accidents since then and she is 6 years old now. She also night-trained herself. She just decided she didn't like to wear a diaper at night and that was that.
My 2nd daughter was not potty-trained until 3 1/2 years old. She is 4 1/2 now and still wears a diaper to bed. I'm not really concerned about it. She'll be ready when she is ready.
I would definitely encourage your daughter to use the potty, but, never force her if she does not want to.
I think reading books to my 2nd daughter helped her a lot. They have lots of cute and fun books about using the potty out there!
And just try not to worry..kids always surprise you. Your daughter may decide tomorrow she wants to use the potty!

Old 01-29-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
(female)

Holly4k9 HB User

I agree with your doctor also. My doctor also gave the same advice for my daughter. If I push her, she will really want nothing to do with it and I will end up frusturated. Right now, I just let her sit on it when she wants to.. she is still young, just turned 2.

If your daughter isn't ready.. she just won't train no matter how hard you try.

With my son, when he was ready, I put him in thick underware and plastic pants.. almost like a cloth diaper. This did help him train a bit faster. And the mess was much easier because it was contained.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:46 AM   #8
(male)

bishop3912 HB User

I always find the more you stress the more my kids feed off that

The question is how many kids do you know go to full time school in nappies...

We are all differnet and progress as differnent times

Old 01-31-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
(female)

jenn34601 HB User

Hi, I have a 3 year old daughter who has been fully potty trained for about 1/2 year. I never pushed the issue. It makes them scared I think. What I did was I put her potty next to mine and when I went to the bathroom I took her with me. She use to sit on her potty with her clothes on and watch me. A couple of times I tried to take off her clothes and put her on the potty but she wanted nothing to do with it. She started to ask what I was doing and I told her I was going pee pee and asked her if she had to go. Of course she would say no. Then one day she just said to me, mommy I have to go pee pee. So I said ok wow your a big girl and I took her in there and she went. I still kept her diaper on, allowing her to tell me when she had to go, and in case she made a mistake she knew it was ok. Everytime she went on her own though I made it like it was the biggest acheivement in the world. Clapping, dancing, singing. She loved it. Within a few days she told me everytime she had to go, number one or two. And made sure that I did my singing and clapping. I only keep a pull up on her at night, but she doesnt even wet it. Every child has their own time and if you force them to do it, or make them think its bad not to, they will get discouraged. Hope this helped. Goodluck.
Jenn

Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
(female)

dorothys HB User

When my daughter was around 3 years old, I tried potty training her. She obviously wasn't ready and it just stressed both of us out. So finally one day, as I was changing her diaper, instead of getting mad and saying things I would regret to her, I just said "how about if we just don't worry about it for a while?". And within 1 week she had trained herself! I just had to take the pressure off and then she was fine.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #11
(female)

sunshine6350 HB User

I totally agree with summertyme! That's exactly how I potty trained all 6 of my boys. And when they go on the potty we made up a stupid song and danced around the house. Probably looked really stupid, but it worked! And the boys didn't want to potty on their supreheros. I also agree with not using the little potty chair. A smaller seat for the toilet is great. All children are different, and each one of mine was completely trained at a different age. Good luck!

Last edited by sunshine6350; 02-05-2006 at 10:40 AM.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User

I think you guys need to wait till SHE is ready. Forcing her to do something she doesn't want to do isn't going to work with a 3 year old. She will come around, must give it time. Some kids learn fast - while others might learn young but it takes a long time.

My dd is now 4 - she started going on the potty ar 22 months. We switched to undies only the day after her 2nd b-day. We can just now say she is fully potty trained (night time & all - & no more accidents during the day). She had a few times when she regressed, like when she started daycare (inhome) 3 days a week for 1 month... but after that month she got right back on track. So as you see, it took a while with her... but some kids could get on that toilet & be fully PT in a few weeks or months!

It all depends on the child... but don't force her!

Old 02-06-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Daycare provider said that she goes to potty there but she doesn't want to go to potty at home, she refuses when I ask her. 3 y old seems pretty old when she will learn then?

Closed Thread