It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Talking Spinals for delivery...

Has anyone EVER heard of someone being paralyzed due to a spinal for delivery? I'm just curious.

Melly

Old 01-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
(female)

Chellaine HB User
Re: Spinals for delivery...

I was SOOO worried about the same thing with my second son, with my first, back in 89 I went "all natural" , not by choice mind you, so I demanded a spinal block with my 2nd. But I guess the chances are so remote, you really have nothing to worry about. I refused a spinal for my first because of the worry about being permanently paralyzed, then my doc decided I get nothing.
I would recommend a spinal for giving birth anyday.
Chellaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Thanks for your response. It's not like I never had a baby. I did seven years ago AND had a spinal because of preeclampsia and he was six weeks early. But, I was just curious if it ever actually happened to anyone or anyone knew of anyone that it happened to.

Melly

Old 01-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
(female)

aln030482 HB User

I've had 2 epidurals (natural births) and 2 spinal blocks (c-sections). I wasn't paralyzed afterwards and several relatives of mine who have also had both (epidurals and spinal blocks) weren't paralyzed either. I did however have pain afterwards in the back with both, and I can still feel on my back where they put the spinal blocks and epidurals (almost feels like a pimple on my spine, but not noticeable or aggrivating.... just noticeable by me if I feel for it). After I had my spinal blocks with the c-sections, I was told to lay flat for 8 hours or there was a risk of being paralyzed. I also had a MAJOR headache after the spinal blocks witht the c-sections. I was told that it was a common side effect though. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User

I havent heard of anyone being paralysed, but I knew a lady who gave birth to her son in '84 under an epidural.

After the birth, everytime she put her hands above her head to hang out the washing, she would faint.

Im not sure exactly why maybe a damaged nerve or somehting, but I think it healed because she went on to have another child and is fine now.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:11 AM   #6
(female)

LM80 HB User

I've never had a spinal, but I have had 2 epidurals out of 3 births.
My 1st birth I went natural..not by choice I assure you.
My 2nd birth I had a lovely epidural. The dr. came in and said arch your back a few times and the needle was in. Labor was great, I had no back pain afterwards.
My 3rd birth, I assume I got an incompetent dr. It took him 2 1/2 hours to place the needle. He hurt me very badly in the middle of it, and yelled at me when I screamed that he hurt me. The epidural never worked and I felt every ounce of pain like going natural. I had back spasms for 3 years afterwards.
If I ever decide to have another baby, I'm going natural. The pain of the last incident wasn't worth it. I'd rather deal with 9 hours of pain and get it over with than 3 years of pain.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Thanks ladies. I'm sure it's just a myth, but just thought I'd do some research and see if anyone had an actual truth to that theory. LOL. I had a spinal with my son 7 years ago and it really wasn't all that bad. The anthesiologist? who gave it to me was wonderful. I was so freakin paranoid. Through the whole c-secion, I kept asking him, how are my vitals?? LMAO! I think that's because I had an emergency c-section due to preeclampsia and was just very scared that I would seizure and die or the baby would. I laugh now, but scared as hell before!! I also hated the recovery room. I was shaking uncontrollably and thought I was going to seizure. I was assured that it was all natural reaction to the spinal, but I was scared to death!! Anyway, hubby and I are TTC baby#2 this FEbruary and I'm not looking forward to my planned c-section I will be having per my doctor. She does not do VBAC's nor believe in them. I can't measure what I'd rather have more the pain of a few hours or more of labor or recovery from a c-section, but it looks as if I'll have no choice I guess. Anyway, I'm 38 and this will be my second and last baby, so please with my luck with getting pregnant.

Thanks for sharing girls!!

Melly

Closed Thread