It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

HelpMeHoldOn HB User
My 10 yr. old boy

He has such a MOUTH already, I mean, just smart alec, sometimes hurtful things.

My 16 year old son, NEVER acted this way- I know each and every is different but man, what do I do, is this a typical stage?

He has to have his way or he gets mad and I mean he will give the dirty looks and this lasts for sometimes an hour until he tries to make up to me. But, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of it!

Yes, he is acting like a spoiled brat?

ADVICE PLEASE HELP!!

Hailey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User
Re: My 10 yr. old boy

What do you do when he is acting like this? I would tell him to go sit in his room out of sight. Other than that, ignore, ignore, ignore,.... If he knows it bothers you then he will just try to get the negative attention. Tell him when he wants to throw the dirty looks you don't want to see him. Put him in his room until he decides to respectful. Be as neutral as possible. Don't let him get a rise out of you or he thinks he's won so to speak.

Good luck.... This is just the beginning !!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Hi, HelpMeHoldOn. When you say he mouths off to you, is it, like, being extraordinarily defiant? Do you find that he has these short-lived fits one minute, only to be happy and smiling the next? Is it like he can't control his anger, even though you know he doesn't mean it? When you say he has to have his own way, what type of things are involved? Certain activities? Having things "just so"? Needing a routine? If so, sounds like me, and I'll tell you more later. Just checking...Good luck and God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 01-22-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
Yes every child is different, so tests out patients more than others, In our house we have a rule, If you act disrespectful to a family member, you go to you room. There has been times when one of my kids has said something real nasty to me, they were sent to there room and depending on the degree of nastiness, depended on how long they had to stay in there, I can remember a few times I even brought there dinner to there bed room. If there attitude proceeded after the bedroom punishment, some times I would ground them for a day, but that happened more when they were 15 years old. Good Luck and stay strong!!! I have four kids
Karen W.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
(female)

caseypup HB User

Hi you know I agree with the other poster ignore, ignore, ignore they hate that with a pat ion. But I have learned something knew about the bedroom grounding, I have been told your shouldnít ground your children to there room because there room is a fun place for them a good place is some where like the bath room they have no toys and if they get up set and mess things up in there well there not allowed to come out until it looks the way it was when they went in. And no one can say its abuse because the have water so you just need to put a cup in there for when the get thirsty and let them know you do realize they have to eat to you will make sure to bring them a sandwich for dinner and let them know if there still in there at bed time then you will be sure to bring them some blankets so they donít get cold, and also you know they do have to go to school to learn so when they get back home they can continue there grounding but let them know you do still love them. May sound funny but I know people who have done it and there child stopped the things he was dishing to his parents. Hope I didnít offend any one. If so I do apologize.

Closed Thread