It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Do I need to see pediatric dietition?

My parents unhappy about the way my 3y old eats. Doctor doesn't see a problem. She likes foods like macaroni, rice, waffle and sirup, french fries and lots of juice. She almost doesn't eat meats, fruits and veggie.
I think she eats what she needs at daycare, since daycare person got checked regulary by usda.
My parents want me to see pediatric dietitian. Her primary care said that we should be ready to totally change the way we eat if we follow dietiton?
Does anybody ever see pediatric dietition?

Old 01-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shelliam HB User
Re: Do I need to see pediatric dietition?

Does she like fruits and veggies? I can almost never get my son to eat meat but I try to give him fruits and veggies. He will eat almost any fruit but we pretty much have to desguise all veggies. Juice isn't all it's cracked up too be. It doesn't provide benefical fiber or anything from the fruit but some vitamins.Other than that I think a lot of children that age are big into carby type foods like you mentioned. I think seeing a dietion would be good if you think you may need help with teaching how to eat right. I don't know that I could make a huge change like that. I have been trying to keep everything as natural and unprocessed as possible but for DS he does get chicken nuggets sometimes while I eat grilled chicken because he simply won't eat it.I can also say my sister and I have joked that spagettios used to be our absolute favorite food and now I could never imagine eating that for a meal unless I was totally desperate, lol. Her food preferances will probably change I would try to guide her in the right direction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

She almost doesn't eat fruit or veggie. Daycare provider said that she eats well at her place but who knows.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shelliam HB User

Even dried ones like raisins or my son really like craisins. They flavor them like cherry strawberry and oranges. I offer them with almost every meal and sometimes he loves it and sometimes he won't eat them at all. try adding peas or green beans to her mac + cheese and strawberries on her waffles or beans in her rice. Another thing is DS loves single serve things like fruit cups. I know that a dietition would probably be expensive and if your dr thinks she's fne I wouldn't worry. Since when have you ever seen veggie stir fry with brown rice on a kids menu anyway. She will probably outgrow it and you'll just need to point her in a healthy direction when she does.Until then keep offering. My magazine I was reading said to offer babies food 15 times before letting them decide they don't like it .I really see this behavior in my 2 1/2 yo too Good Luck!

Old 01-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

My ds is 4 and still goes through times where he just doesnt eat and I wonder how he is even getting any nutrition. Its totally normal for them to be so picky and eat so little. I try to give him flinstone vitamins when he goes through that.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
(female)

Holly4k9 HB User

I have a friend who's dd eats well at day care and barely eats at home. My children also have gone through this.. My daughter, who is two will like corn on Monday but not on Tuesday.. She is very inconsistant in what she likes to eat. We don't offer her to many choices at snack times because by the time I get it to her, she wants the other item I offered.. and has a fit lol

When my son was two he went through a stage where he hardley ate.. and started to look pale and just wasn't right.. once we put him on vitamins he was much better

It is really important not to force children to eat.. This can lead to problems with food as they get older.

Closed Thread