It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
How much tv kid can watch?

My 3y old is watching 2 movies every day at home and may be more at daycare? Can it badly affect her eyes and psychic? How much tv I should allow?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
(female)

fifistoosh HB User
Re: How much tv kid can watch?

Does she play with toys, do you read books or wash the dishes together, do you go outside for a walk or to the park? If she is doing other activities, I dont think a couple of suitable movies during the day will do her any harm. One in a morning and one before bed, to try and relax, slow them down a little should be ok. As long as the tv isnt a baby sitter for too long and the movies are suitable for her age and she doesnt sit too close. I dont think you will have a problem.
Programmes like the teletubbies and tweenies are eductional, so she may learn something from it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

It's been proven that sitting too close to the tv will not hurt your eyes.

It seems that my tv is always on here. I don't use it as a baby sitter, I guess it's for the back ground noise. My sons play together and they are both so very smart. I don't see anything wrong with letting them watch tv, for the most part they watch disney movies and other child friendly shows.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

As long as there is a good balance of play there is nothing wrong with suitable tv.

Children need to learn to play before they play to learn.

Looking at books, building with blocks, running in fresh air, playing with paint, sand dough and water. Don't leave it all to the tv.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User

I agree - as long as there is a good balance of playing & other entertainment, I think kids watching TV is fine. Most of the time, my dd will have a show on & will be off playing or coloring only 1/2 paying attention. There are some shows on that are educational anyway - she loves watching the Animal Planet & learns things about the animals! I think that's great! There's not just cartoons out there for kids, you know.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

When my brother and I were little---now I'm 28 and he's 32---we were allowed to watch TV for 1 hour a day. Other than that---we had productive play time outside and inside and I'm thankful for that!

Old 03-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I was a TV addict at age two and a bookworm long before that. It's up to the parent on the limits of TV depending on the kid's other interests and if they're doing their homework, but not everyone who's glued to a TV is not interested in learning. I'm one of them. Plus, I've learned a lot from TV shows, including vocabulary from, believe it or not, cartoons...
-Danny'sGrl-

Closed Thread