It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

littlemiracle HB User
Unhappy Discipline Problems

Hello. My son is 33 months old, he's very stubborn and persistent and that is what makes him a hard child to discipline. I can't just put him in time out. When I do he gets up and leaves, I"ve tried holding him there, I've tried spanking him, I've tried ignoring him, I've tried putting him in time out with the door closed, but then he learned how to open the door. So the last thing I did was put him in time out, close the door and just hold on to the door handle so he can't open it. That usually works best over all else. The problem is that it doesn't always work, and that it can take pretty long to work. Also if I'm not at home nothing works. I need alot of advice as you can tell. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions, I'm really dead tired!

Old 02-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User
Re: Discipline Problems

Praise good behavior. Give a sticker chart to earn things for good behavior. Take away toys and privlidges for bad behavior. Follow through and be consistant. Don't say no to something and then when he throws a fit you give in. Make your rules for his behavior known. For example when at a restaurant talk about what he can and can't do. Say if you get down from your booster can you stand right next to mom? (yes) can you go over to the other table (no). If he does the no then talk about how he did it wrong. Praise him when he does stand next to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

well said rouge. I totally agree.

look at how you are reacting too, do you over react sometimes to something which could be over looked. Do you talk in a certain tone? Having a happy, calm voice for positive praise and encouragement and then changing it to a lower pitch with a firm looking face for times when you are not in agreement with something he has done.

Be persistant, keep trying something, dont give up too soon.
Read stories and play together too, make time for stuff he enjoys so he can see and remember happy times leads to a happy mum. Naughty times leads to a mum that doesnt want to do any thing, talks crossly and ignores him.

Good luck I know its not an easy time but perseverance and consistancy do work.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
(female)

littlemiracle HB User

Thank you both for your replies and wonderful advice. I have to concentrate on the tone of voice thing, and praising the good behavior. I think I've probably forgotten to praise the good and I only acknoledge the bad, which is really really sad. He's a wonderful kid when he wants to be, I think I need to praise him more often and spend time with him when he's behaving good. I think you both gave me awesome advice, now I just need to follow it. Thanks a million this should really help out a lot!!! I'm happier already...

Closed Thread