It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Ideas for a 2 year old's birthday party?

Hello, my son is turning 2 in a couple weeks. I wanted to do a little birthday party and invite some of the other kids his age in the neighborhood. I already figured we could have pizza, cake, ice cream, ect... But I do not know if maybe I should do some games or something. I need some basic ideas since the oldest kids that would come would probably be 3. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Re: Ideas for a 2 year old's birthday party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by besafe20
Hello, my son is turning 2 in a couple weeks. I wanted to do a little birthday party and invite some of the other kids his age in the neighborhood. I already figured we could have pizza, cake, ice cream, ect... But I do not know if maybe I should do some games or something. I need some basic ideas since the oldest kids that would come would probably be 3. Any suggestions?
Sorry, I've mostly had my son's birthday at places like bowling, rollerskating, game places, etc., not usually at home. It's hard when they are that young to really do anything with them. They usually just like to run around the house. LOL. Piniattas are always great, but he is only a toddler, so you've got a couple more years before that or any pin the tail ont he donkey games. If they still do that?? LOL. I loved it when I was a kid!!!

Good luck. I"m sure others may have some ideas for you.

Melly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

littlemiracle HB User

I don't have many ideas for you but I will tell you what I did for my son's 2nd b-day. We invited about 15 kids, ranging between 2 yrs old- 6 yrs old, and what I did was that I rented a bounce house, and bought a pinata. The kids all LOVED the bounce house, and the pinata too, but the pinata is a lot quicker while the bounce house lasts longer bc they can stay in there till they drop and let me tell you my son loves them. You can also do a search online and get great ideas from there. Good Luck to ya.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

If it's warm where you are anything with bubbles or water is always a hit at that age. Or how about just 1 or 2 friends at the children's museum if you have one near by...many time they'll have party rooms. Or how about a treasure hunt...a very simple, obvious one where everyone gets a prize at the end.

MellyMel is right, at this age they are just happy running around the house in circles! I'm about to plan DS 3rd b-day party and I too am looking for ideas. That inflatable sounds like a really cool idea if the weather works out.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

You could set up some craft tables for the kids. Anyone who wants to participate can and vice versa. I think they will all just want to run around the house and play with whatever is around.

Have you decided what you are going to get him yet? Just wanted to add that I got my son some Thomas the Trains sets for his 2nd birthday and it's been the biggest hit ever!!

Have fun!!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
(female)

mitpatsmom HB User

Kids that young may not be into games yet. The bounce house is a good idea, though. Especially since all the kids will be about the same age.

I was at a park recently and saw a fire truck going to a kids party. (It was one for hire, not on duty.) The kids seemed enamored by the truck and they turned on the hoses and let the kids splash around in the water. (Kind of like playing in a sprinkler.) I don't think I've ever seen kids having so much fun. I wished I could have a party like that (but my boys are too old).

If you live some place warm, you could try that.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My husband played accordeon on my dd 3y birthday and kids hold hands together and danced, they also played with toys they brought as gifts. Some malls have z-kids zone. Chuck and cheese place is also an option.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

I just had Raine's second B-day. We decorated and have lots of (healthy) snacks around for the kids to munch on, strawberries, melons, cheese, crackers, grapes, baked nacho chips, and salsa. and pizza, veggie burgers, veggie dogs, cake and ice cream for supper. I played music for them to dance too and we played pin the tail on the donkey, with tape and no blindfold :P They thought it was funny, lol. My best advice it try to keep it short and sweet, toddlers can be great fun, but a room full of cranky ones is NOT!

Old 02-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Thanks for all the suggestions. We live in the midwest and it is definately too cold for any outdoor activities. Your ideas sounded great and like lots of fun though. Worried mommy, I think I will just focus and the food and maybe some music. I can always get balloons and make some party favor bags I guess.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

I just finished having a party for my 3 year old. We played musical chairs and pin the tail on the donkey. They all got small prizes when they were out, and a bigger prize for the winner. I did it right away and it didn't go over as good as I hoped because they were still all playing shy. The more I tried to plan the worse it went. My advice is just let them play and if you have activities planned do it when they are all comfortable. After the presents are opened they all want to play with the new toys anyways. Good Luck SL.

Closed Thread