It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
non-stop TV at daycare

My parents think that my 3y old is very jumpy and hypo 'cause of non-stop TV. They would like me to change a daycare. Provider said that tv is only 30 min. It is obvious lie, she had big screen tv which is on whenever we come.
Is it a reason to change daycare, which is not perfect but has a lot of advantages.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

summertyme HB User
Re: non-stop TV at daycare

At the risk of having my post deleted--I think daycare in general is horrible for many reasons. If I were you I would not put my child in daycare at all. TV is only one of the myriad reasons that I will NEVER put my children in daycare. To much TV is bad for children, as is being one child in a roomfull with only one caretaker, who is a paid attendant, not even a parent or grandparent. Plus, your daycare worker is lying to you. Why would you put up with that? What else might she be lying about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Inactive

plymouth HB User

Did you mean hyper, as in hyperactive, not hypo?

I would think that tv makes kids passive. And I wouldn't let my parents tell me how to raise my kids. I would solicit their advice and respect their opinion but in the end the decision is mine.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
(female)

Faythey HB User

I've never heard of anything positive coming from TV watching.

And summertyme has a great point, if you know they're lying about one thing, what else?

I would change daycares immediately. But dont do it because your parents say to, do it because you think thats what you need to do.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
(female)

jenn34601 HB User

I dont think that they should have lied to you about the TV but I do not agree with Fayday that nothing good comes out of TV. I have a 3 year old daughter who watches TV, not a lot, I know she watches some in daycare and when she is home at night before bed she watches shows like Barney, Elmo, Care Bearsand various other childrens shows and she is a very advanced speaker, sings, dances and actually remembers line off these shows that she watches. Of course TV is not a substitute for a babysitter but there are a lot of good things that could come out of watching TV. And also, not putting a child in day care at all is not an option for many people. Does your 3 year old ever come home with drawings or pictures or art work? The daycare my daughter is in does a lot of that sort of stuff, they have story time and they also have classes where they start teaching them to read to get them ready for school. Find out what kind of activities they do with your child and if all they do is put them in front of the TV I would look elsewhere.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

She bringing projects home and she can count and tell whole alphabet. My parents think that provider can do that projects for her, no way to check and they think she should be more calm not running and dancing near TV to immitate show all the time.
She likes Barney, Mary Poppins, Sound of Music.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
(female)

jenn34601 HB User

Im sorry, I dont agree... I am glad that my child runs around and sings and dances and immitates things she sees. As long as she is not hyper to the point that she will never have any quiet time or will NEVER sit still, those are things kids are suppose to do. Use their imagination, have a good time and show artistic ability whether it be singing dancing etc. You would have more to worry about if your child was always sitting there quiet, not involved in a lot of activity. I still think that you should research the daycare and make sure they just dont plop the kids in front of the TV all day, but as far as her being a kid... I think that that is normal.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Maybe they do what our daycare does -- have the tv on when you pick up and drop off kids. DS goes to a daycare center and when DH drops him off in the morning, sometimes they have sesame street on the tv and the parents set the kids in front of the tv area -- they're usually getting breakfast ready for all the pre-school kids and one of the teachers is dropping off the school aged children at their various kindergartens.

Then they feed them breakfast, have two hours a preschool, outdoor time/playtime. Feed them lunch and then they're down for naps til 2:30. Then they have a snack go out to play for two hours or so. Parents usually start picking up their kids after 4:30, so sometimes they start putting the kids in front of the tv again -- central gathering place. One of the teachers once told me that the really really young kids -- ds was 1 at the time only get to watch about 10 minutes of tv and someday she was going to have to sit down and watch a whole dvd of Barney, so she could find out what happens in the end.

If DS was home with us -- he wouldn't be getting outside time or preschool time and I'd have the television on Boomerang or Nick.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Another problem that they almost never go outside. We have one person and she is also watching her grandkids. It is not a perfect cituation but it is close and affordable and she seems learining something there and likes to go there (most of the time). Is going outside daily very important?

Old 02-11-2006, 04:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I agreee that TV has it's pro's and con's. I think that some things show kids that we can't.
Galinaqt- it seems like from all of your other posts, you mention your parents having a problem with something or other all the time. I would tell them to either keep their mouth shut, or watch your kid all day for you, so they can be the "perfect" provider.

There are many reasons that people use day care, most of them are things that they don't have control over. Try to see things in gray, other than black and white. There are many day care's that provide structured, clean, caring care for parents who need it for their children.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-11-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:39 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

summertyme HB User

I never said I didn't know why anyone would put their child in daycare--I just said mine would never be there. Having worked in daycare I know just what goes on there and it is truly appalling, and the ones I worked at were considered "good daycares." I think children are much better off with a parent or at least another relative. Studies show that most daycare is not clean nor structured. In one state recently, inspectors found that NOT A SINGLE daycare in the entire state even met minimum standards to be considered a "good daycare."

Dizzygirl, you're right--I do see things in black and white. And I guess my whole point is I wish parents in general took more care about who they leave their children with instead of parking them somewhere. Then they wouldn't have to worry about what they're doing all day because they would KNOW.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-11-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

If every parent stayed home with their child, the world could not run. People have to work, it is not practical to say every child should be home with a parent or grandparent. There are many daycares out there that are wonderful. There is substandard daycare, but that does not mean they are all like that.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-11-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:28 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

summertyme HB User

Let me repeat--the daycares I worked at were among the most respected and considered among the best in our town. People paid big bucks to send their kids there to sit in front of the same 5 cartoon videos all day. As a parent who stays home with 2 children all day, every day, 24-7, I know it's hard to manage 2 sometimes, much less a room full of 6 infants or 10-12 older children. If you send your child to daycare you should know they are just another face in the crowd to their caretaker, and do not receive the love, care and attention that children deserve.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-11-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Closed Thread