It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #1

dmbfan HB User
18 month old sleep issues...help!

I"m looking for advice, or anyone who can empathize with me. My 18 month old son has stopped sleeping! He goes to bed every night around 8...and goes to bed just fine. I put him down awake and he plays around, talks to himself and goes to sleep just fine on his own. But he's only sleeping about 4-6 hours then he's awake and crying.

I thought he was going through a separation anxiety thing...but even if I go get him and lay down with him he refuses to go back to sleep. We've tried letting him cry it out...(which we did initially when he was younger to get him "trained"...and it worked wonderfully), but he'll cry non-stop...for hours...or he'll cry for a long time...then be quite for about 40-50 minutes and then start crying again. I would think if he was really tired, if he cried himself to sleep that he would staying sleeping...not wake up again within an hour.

He normally naps 2 ours a day...usually 11-1, sometimes a little longer, sometimes a little shorter. Then sometimes he will fight a nap..even after having only slept for 6 hours the night before...he just goes and goes and goes...and won't even sit long enough to look at a book...which he usually loves to do.

I had hope this was a phase...or a growth spurt...or a teething thing...but we've started our 3 week of this now...seems a little long for any of those things.

Does anyone have a similar story? or suggestions for a completely exhausted mom and dad??

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: 18 month old sleep issues...help!

my daughter was that way.She's now 16.Ww found out at the age of 4 she had nite blindness and terrible vision.Does he have a nitelight in his room.My daughter didn't sleep all night long until she was 20 months old.We had moved and the building behind us had a pole light and it shined into her bedroom and she slept all night long.It is frustating and thinking back I don't know how I done it.My oldest daughter never went through that.This is just a thought.

Toni

Closed Thread