It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

cricket81 HB User
How do I get my 8 month old on a sleep schedule? Help!

I've gotten in the habit of letting my 8 month old daughter fall asleep in her swing for naps. And she picks when she wants to nap. I know I've let it get out of hand and I want to get her on a schedule with no more swing. She gets up between 7-8 a.m. So i figured her nap times should be around 10:00 a.m. and 2 p.m. But what if she doesn't seem tired around those times? I put her down for a nap this morning around 10:00a.m. and she cried for an hour and finally fell asleep. She woke up at 12:00p.m. I put her down again at 2:00p.m. but she didn't really seem tired. Should I let her just cry it out till she does get tired? It's so confusing and hard. Does anyone have advice? Thank You

Old 02-13-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: How do I get my 8 month old on a sleep schedule? Help!

Maybe she only needs one nap now. I know what the books say, but some kids just don't nap by the books. Stretch that nap time out until 11 or noon until she really seems tired, yawning, rubbing the eyes, getting cranky. I would take that her crying for an hour before she fell asleep in the day means that she wasn't that tired, but I could be wrong. Sometimes they get "too tired" and have a hard time falling asleep, but after only 2 hours I doubt she was really super tired. What time does she go to bed at night? It may just be time to adjust the nap schedule

Also, try to establish a naptime routine to get her used to not sleeping in the swing. My daytime routine isn't as elaborate as my nighttime one. But take her to a quiet place, wrap her in her blanket, rock her for a little bit, maybe read a book, I still give my little one a bottle before bed (will have to wean DD from that in another month or so) and then lay her down. In the beginning I try to get my babies to almost completely fall asleep in my arms before laying them down. Then over time I put them down more and more awake.

Good luck. I've had one kid who was a champ at sleeping. But I've had a major uphill battle with my DD. But it will get easier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

Rock her to sleep and then lay her in her crib. Letting them cry is not healthy for them. IMO!

Also by the time they are acting crabby and rubbing their eyes they are way overtired. Set a time and use that instead. They fight their naps not becasue they don't need them, but becasue they don't know how to do it on their own. You have to show them.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I agree with everything that Rouge said. It helped me immensely (sp?) to stay home for a few days, and figure out when ds was truly tired, and do the same thing everyday, so he could anticipate that sleep was coming after, nursing, lunch, whatever. It really did work after a while. I don't really agree with a strict schedule so to say, but doing the same things every day with them helps them feel more comfortable.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
(female)

cricket81 HB User

Thank you for your comments. I just keep second guessing myself because of the books I read they say they need two naps a day, one in the morning and one at night. And that your supposed to not let them get over tired so you need to put them down at certain times and if they cry you let them cry it out. You check on them every 15 minutes or so to say everything is going to be ok and then you let them cry it out till they fall asleep. They say it won't hurt the baby and everyone will be happier in the end cause they'll be able to fall asleep on they're own. Does anyone agree with this or should I just follow my instincts?

Old 02-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
(female)

Alybi HB User

I will tell you my situation that worked AMAZINGLY for me and changed mine and my babies life forever....well, his sleeping habits anyways!!!!!!!!

My son, who is 18mos now was exactly the same as you explain your daughter to be, even the exact same nap times and how she will only nap in her swing cause my son was the same way........when he was 9-10mos i baught some books on sleep.....even joined the amazing forum for new parents and just for advice....i tried everything the books say to do.....i came to the conclusion that i had to do what i thought was right for me and my child, and that was CIO....letting him cry it out.....it changed EVERYTHING...

of course it was SOOO hard to hear him cry the first night, he cried for about 15 mins, it was the longest 15 minutes of my life, but i stuck to it.....i had too!!!
the second night, same thing.....i made sure he was changed, bathed and fed....put him in his crib, talked to him for a few mins and left the room....he was fine for a few mins then he started to cry......15 minutes again....i stood outside his room DYING to go in and get him but i knew now that he just wanted me to go in....i didnt.....
day 3.....same routine......instead of crying he whined...and only for about 10 mins.....he was asleep....

by night 5 i was in COMPLETE shock, i literally put him in his crib, walked out....went to get a drink and when i came back he was out cold....this went on every single day leading up til now...i am sooo glad i did the whole CIO.

as for naps.....i just recently in the last 2 months cut his naps down from 2 to 1....now he naps at 12:30-2:30....and then bed time at 7:00....sleeps til 7am.

when he was still napping 2 times, i did the whole CIO during bed time and nap time all at once....you cant do them one at a time....if your gonna do CIO, you have to do it together...bed time and nap time....it only confuses them!!!

NOW.....I just had ANOTHER baby 5 months ago, and he is the TOTAL opposite of my 18mos old....he has been a wonderful sleeper since birth...he already sleeps through the night and has done since he was 3 weeks old....i dont think i will ever have to do the CIO with him, but if i had to, I DEF would...my only problem with my 5mos old is that he naps in his swing still but bed time, all i do is lay him in his crib and hes asleep with NO crying at all.....

Keep in mind, that just because CIO worked for me, doesnt mean it will work for you....its not for every child.....some babies cry uncontrollably, some dont cry at all......my friend did this with her baby, and for the first 2 weeks, she screamed her head off everynight for over 30 mins....now she sleeps like a champ!!!!

If you decide to try this with your baby and you find shes crying to the point that YOU cant take it anymore.....go in and console her, settle her down then try again....only do it once tho....cause if you do it to much, it will become a routine ("if i cry, mommy will come").....

anyways, thats just my experience with CIO (crying it out)
let me know how it goes!! and if you have any questions, let me know!

Alyson

Closed Thread