It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User
Potty training ideas. Help.

Hi,
My DS just turned 3 few days ago, and has been using the potty before bathtime since May 2005. I think he's more than ready to be potty trained, but he's quite stubborn in that he doesn't want to wear underwear. I don't really want to use pull-ups b/c they're too much like diapers and I don't want him to think he can pee in them, and he will.

So far, since yesterday, he's had one accident after another. He has not peed at all in the potty, only in his underwear and pants.

He talks well and understands everything we say, but I'm not sure he fully understands how to hold it. He doesn't tell me when he needs to go. He just goes, then says uh oh. When I ask him if he needs to go pee pee he always says no. Then 2 minutes later he'll pee in his pants.

How do you tell a 3 yo HOW to hold it.

I've tried praising him, giving him M&M's, stickers... he's not interested.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
Re: Potty training ideas. Help.

Is he your first child? I ask this because we had similar trouble with our first boy. He didn't wear underwear successfully until he was 3 1//2. Our second boy, on the other hand, is 2 1/2 and has been wearing underwear for over a month with only a minor wetting accident here and there. I think he just wanted to be like his big brother. Having seen other families' experience as well, I'd say not to worry. First boys are notoriously slow potty learners. Don't sweat it too much. If he has to go back to diapers for a while, I wouldn't worry. Eventually, he'll decide on his own to wear underwear, and there's little you can do to force that decision. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User

Yes, he is our first. He gets really excited about his underwears, but when it comes time to wear it he backs out.

He did have one potty time with out any accidents tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will go better.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS is apparently semi-potty trained at "school" He'll be three this summer, but the other morning he woke up from his nap dry and demanded to use the potty. They've been giving him treats -- big treat for a big job, tiny treat for a tiny job. At home it's a different issue. Ask him if he wants to use the potty -- nope. Ask him if he needs a diaper change -- nope -- even if he's stinky. Sometimes he tells me that I need to change his diaper.

We've gotten big boy underwear with his favorite characters on it, which he likes to wear over his diaper. He has worn big boy undies without, but has always had accidents. Last time he was running down the hall and a huge log flew out! Toddlers!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

Try letting him go without anything. No diaper, no underware and no pants (only at home of course). He wont have the protective feeling like he does when his bottom is covered up. Bring the potty chair into the living room and have him sit on it every 30 mins or so. It takes time. My 3 yr old was potty trained right at 3 and it was TOUGH! He still has accidents while he is sleeping every once in a while, but much better now. You could also try putting cheerios in the toilet and make a game of him trying to shoot the cheerios. You may have to be creative and think outside of the box...Good Luck!

Closed Thread