It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
Kindergarten troubles - need advice

I hope I can hear from some people with similar experience, because my wife and I aren't sure what to do.

My son is six and in kindergarten. Lately, he's been getting into trouble at school - mainly for being "silly." He spit at another child (he insists the other boy spit at him first and that they were just joking around), and he acted disrespectfully to an adult who was visiting his class. We've gotten two calls from his teacher, who tells us she wants us to come in with him for a talk. And he's been sent to his principal's office.

The teacher (who my son says he likes) thinks our son is a very nice boy, but immature and overly inclined to joke around - he's the class clown, she tells us. She would like to nip this in the bud before he gets a "reputation" that he can't shake as he goes into first grade. I agree with her.

So far, we've taken away TV for a week, and of course, he was sent to the principal. Neither of these punishments seemed to bother him much. We've also tried positive reinforcement -for a while, his teacher gave him smily face stickers for having good days, and we gave him ice cream if he had three smily face days in a row. That seemed to work, but now we're back to square one.

Have any of you been in my shoes? If so, what seemed to work for you?

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Re: Kindergarten troubles - need advice

I don't know too many 6yr old boys who are mature frankly. Is there a chance he's just too young to be in a school setting right now? What about waiting another year?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
(female)

cagedbird HB User

just wondering if he went to pre-k before going into kindergarten?

cagedbird

Old 02-15-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

He went to three years of pre-school, with the last two being five days a week. So he's definitely used to being in a classroom full of kids.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

cagedbird HB User

You didn't say if he's the only child. Maybe he's looking for attention. Being the class clown would bring attention his way. He's so young,& being silly in kindergarten shouldn't be such a big problem. what did he do to the adult to show disrespect? I think the school is over reacting to his being silly. and more then once i've heard the old saying....Boy's will be boy's. Remember he's only 6.

cagedbird

Old 02-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

He's not an only child. He has a little brother who is 2 1/2. I agree that clowning around is part of being a six year old. I think his teacher has very high expectations for the kids in her class - both academic and social, and I wouldn't be surprised if she's over-reacting. I don't know what he did that was disrespectful to the adult, but I know my son sometimes gets intimidated around adults he doesn't know and talks in a silly voice to them or won't look them in the face. I doubt he said anything seriously obnoxious. Maybe he used a potty word.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

I have a 6 year old boy in kindergarten. He doesn't really do much clowning around in school though. He does it all at home! Sometimes he is really hard to control. Boys are boys! I have a 5 yr old girl. They are like night and day. Most of the time when mine acts up, he is looking for attention. I think they are too young to really know the difference between good and bad attention. It is all just attention at that age. Sometimes, it is because his sister did something that he got in trouble for. I think teachers also forget that they are just children! lol! Hopefully, yours snaps out of it and doesn't make it a regular thing. They do have stress at this age. Teachers and parents expect so much out of their child. They get tired of walking a fine line and just want to horse around and play.

How long has this been going on? If it has just been a couple times, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Plus, they also like to show off for friends! They can be little bugers at times.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

I think you're right. At this age, so much is expected of kids. They naturally want to be silly and clown around a bit. I really think kindergarten now seems more like first grade did when I was a kid. The expectations get higher and higher. Much of the work he's doing seems like it's aimed at older kids (one of the math worksheets he recently brought home said at the bottom it was for second graders). We live in a pretty wealthy area where people are very focused on getting their kids educated, but I think the teachers and schools need to let up a bit, especially when dealing with a boy who just turned six and has a naturally outgoing personality. We're going to discuss this with his teacher at our parent/teacher conference March 2. I agree he needs to buckle down and behave, but I also think the teachers have to relax a bit.

Closed Thread