It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Question when and how to teach your native language?

My native language is Russian and I would like my 3 y old to learn it. My husband is american and we speak English, she also has English at daycare. I don't spend much time with her and I communicate and read with her in English since I am afraid she won't be prepared for school. She doesn't do as well as many other kids at her age.
When my father speaks with her in Russian she doesn't understand unless he will say it in English.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: when and how to teach your native language?

I would start to teach her now. Her brain is at the perfect age to act like a sponge and pick it up. Start to throw in Russian words when you are speaking English. Say do you want МОЛОКО? And then point to the milk jug. As she gets used to the Russian word for milk start to change the entire question to Russian. At that point she'll understand the word for milk and will begin to understand the first part of the sentence.

Also, look into a Russian program for preschoolers. That will be a great place for her to learn and have fun with other kids at the same time. If you are in a bigger town there will probably be one. Some friends of mine send their daughter (almost 5) to a German preschool. Her mom is German. They spend half the time in school speaking in German and the other half in English. When she is with her mom her mom only speaks German unless the daughter doesn't understand. Her dad usually speaks English, though he inderstands German. When the 3 are together they usually speak English. It works very well for the girl. She is very good with both languages.

Good luck, it's a great idea for her to learn now, then when she's older she'll be lucky enough to already know a second language and it will be very special that she can communicate with your family.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread