It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
(female)

Betty Bee HB User
7 year old rules the household...Suggested chores for a 7 year old?

My fiance and I are trying to teach his 7 year old responsibility and we are trying to learn ways to put a stop to his son "ruling the household"

So far he is cleaning up his toys before bed, clearing his dinner plate, and making his bed. The chores are done with help from his dad and are not always consistant. Although at his mother's house , he makes his bed all by himself as well as performs all the other chores independently.

Anybody have suggestions on other chores or ways to instill that this child is not the Center of the Universe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

layla= HB User
Re: 7 year old rules the household...Suggested chores for a 7 year old?

HE can make cereal, and juice, may be an idea to dilute it in a large bottle to leave in the fridge or you never know how he concentrates it. I get my 6 year old to fold the towels or wipe down the doors, or table. I even get her to stick my t bag in a cup although she likes this at the moment. She also helps me cook. there is lots of little bits you can get him doing, put the washing in the machine ready for you, ( giving myself lots of new ideas here to!! Roll on the weekend!! )
6 /7 is just about the right age for the trouble, i get lots of attitude from my girl.
Good luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
(female)

BellaTori HB User
Exclamation Re: 7 year old rules the household...Suggested chores for a 7 year old?

I think if he can do things on his own when he's with mom then he is capable.
It's a matter of making him do these things when he's with you. You need to let him know in no uncertain terms what is expected of him and keep enforcing it over and over because with young kids you have to constantly enforce things. You could post a chore chart and allow him to stick a foil star or another small sticker next to it when he's completed it. Do you offer rewards for chores and/or good behavior? I have 3 boys ages 8, 14 and 16 as well as 4 stepkids ages 3, 5, 7 and 8. When the stepkids are at home with mom they have a lot of chores; helping with laundry, dusting, vacuuming, taking out trash, feeding dogs, sweeping kitchen, and of course cleaning their rooms, making their beds and picking up their things around the house. My boys know they make their beds upon rising in the morning and they clean up their rooms everyday. These things are expected and if they don't get done they lose priveledges like playstation, xbox, phone, computer. Allowing them to use these things IS a priveledge not a right. We also give them an allowance for doing 'extra' things like mowing the yard, taking out trash, vacuuming, laundry, cooking, etc. I think for your stepsons age he should certainly be making his bed, cleaning up his messes, etc. It's really up to the adults to enforce these behaviors. It'll probably be a struggle at first but it will become easier and you'll be happier and in the long run it's what's best for the child. We don't want our kids going through life thinking everyone will do things for me so it's okay to be a slob - this won't make him a very good husband or father down the road! Be firm and keep at it, it must be consistent!
Good luck!!!!
Tori

Old 02-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Re: 7 year old rules the household...Suggested chores for a 7 year old?

The problem is not the child. The problem is dad.

Dad needs to be "instilled" that the child is not the center of the universe. Dad probably feels guilty about the way things turned out for the child and as a result overindulges the child. Dad needs to understand that this is a serious disservice to the child. When dad becomes responsible, the child wil too. Mom gets it already. Dad's turn now.

Closed Thread