It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 10:48 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User
am I wrong?strange situation

ok this is a very strange question to ask but my hubby and best friend agree that i am over reacting so here goes!! my 14 yr old son...well i bought a bulk family size box of cereal and he ate it in 4 days!!!! none during the day all for breakfast. i think this is absolutely ridiculous!! my dh thinks he is growing and isnt wasting it and eats all of it and i should back off obvious. he needs it! i think he is wrong that theres no excuse for a 14 yr old to be pigging out like that! my dh said he used to eat like that when he was his age. i could kind of see if it were a reg size box of cereal but it wasnt it was a family size box. I know this may seem to petty to some. so am i over reacting? btw my son is very healthy and is not overweight if anything he looks like he never eats...

Old 02-23-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
(female)

Sassafrass627 HB User
Re: am I wrong?strange situation

I agree with your husband and best friend...you're overreacting. I can go through a family sized box of cereal in 2 days! You say your son isn't overweight or unhealthy so let him enjoy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
(female)

mitpatsmom HB User

I agree with the others. my son just turned 16 and it's the same way with him. He'll disappear with a box of Girl Scout Cookies and eat the whole thing if I let him (which I don't).

He's probably at the beginning of a growth spurt. If he doesn't shoot up heighth-wise, I'll bet his muscles start filling out.

Last edited by mitpatsmom; 02-23-2006 at 06:11 AM.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Welcome to the world of teenages. It's normal -- can't remember how much my MIL said she spent on groceries with TWO teenage boys when my husband & his brother lived at home. I know it was phenomenal and that was over 25 years ago. And when I was a teenager with a teenage brother and sister -- same thing. nothing was sacred and you didn't DARE leave your sandwich or food unattended or it'd disappear.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
(female)

BellaTori HB User

Yep, the others are right! I have both a 14 and 16 yr old son and they both eat like crazy! I spend so much on groceries it's unreal but their doctor says it perfectly normal for them to eat way more calories than my husband and I do because they are growing so quickly and are very active. I can understand your concern but if he's healthy I wouldn't worry about it. They need to eat more calories so if there isn't an issue with weight it's normal and okay. As he gets older it will come in phases and you'll know he's going through growth spurts. So don't sweat it, just go with it! My 14 yr old son was 5'7 and 115 lbs this time last year and is now 6'1 and 135 lbs! He has sprouted like a weed! LOL

Tori

Old 02-23-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

hmmmm alright then i thought it was really ridicoulous how much he ate. We have 4 kids so i know what food is like BUT not a bluk size box of cereal in 4 sittings i mean if u actually dumped that box out and divided it in 4 thats an aweful lot of cereal. I guess it picked my butt a bit cause when i asked my ds about it he said i dont pay attn im sleeping still!

Old 02-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

My oldest is 12 (13 in may) and he can eat like this too! lol seems like every time I turn around he is eating and cereal and milk LAWD he goes through that stuff like crazy and is thin too so it like others here have said growth spurts and males can eat and eat at that age and not gain a pound wish it was that way for this 31 year old woman lol

Old 02-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jectac HB User

I can remember my brother eating the same way when he was young!!!! Here's a funny story:

My brother was a morning person, I was a late sleeper. So every morning on the weekends, he would get up and consume, I swear, 4 - 5 bowls of cereal. Well, he LOVED to scrape the flakes off of the side of the bowl, and all I would hear is ting, ting, ting at 8:00am in the morning. This drove me CRAZY. So for his birthday, I had found a round, plastic, Rubbermaid DISHPAN. I bought it for him as his cereal bowl and I never had to hear that ting, ting, ting again!!!!

Thank you for reminding me of a wonderful memory. That was about 30 years ago!!!!!

Old 02-27-2006, 02:34 AM   #9
(female)

LM80 HB User

Yup it is completely normal for teenage boys to eat and eat...and eat!
I remember when my 2 brothers were teens and one of them used to down a whole gallon of milk with dinner.
My husband was the same way. He was a skinny kid...still is to this day. Tall and skinny. But, he can eat in one sitting as much as I can eat in a day easily.
Growing boys need food. I say let him eat as much as he wants unless of course it is becoming a weight issue, which you already said is not a problem!

Old 02-27-2006, 03:13 AM   #10

Gatormom HB User

This thread cracks me up... with mental pictures of growing teen boys and their mounds of cereal!! Gotta add my 2 cents worth - when we were kids I can remember my brothers eating a full dinner with the family, then going back into the kitchen about an hour later and making a few sandwiches. Used to drive my mother nuts.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

ikes...i didnt think this would turn into a commical post lol as it was something that really really ticked me off and still does!!! i guess i just think he is being a fricking pig and that no human needs to consume as much food at once like he is! i just cant even see how a 300gr bowl of cereal (almost an entire box of reg size cereal) can be eaten without throwing it up or feeling grosse afterwards.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

lol these stories have been funny thanks for the giggles.You know not only does my son eat loads of cereal at a time but my hubby does also he will break out one of the big leftover tupperware bowls and use that sometimes go for a refill! he has done this as long I have known him about 17 years now usualy a few days a week but at night yeah late at night when im trying to sleep "CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH" UGH LOL males to the original poster ...dont worry but yes your right some are just being piggys lol but like someone else mentioned as long as he is healthy and not overweight or getting there dont worry ......i know it can ebe annoying though seems as soon as ya get cereal and milk in the house its gone I have 5 kids so we go through tons of milk

Last edited by tnmomofive; 02-27-2006 at 07:17 PM.

Closed Thread