It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
This is crazy.. My conspiracy theory.

Ok just to let you know the situation... I have been baby sitting a 5 month old for the past couple months everyday all day. I have one child of my own i stay home with. There have been problems since the beggining.. Unscheduled visits without calling and then sitting here forever to watch the baby sleep! They are also extremely paranoid and seem to have a problem with me leaving the house with the baby to run errands or whatever. I am home pretty much all the time and dont go out unless I have too cuz my son is barely 2 and it is too hard to deal with both of them. They dont have a stroller for the carrier and I have asked them why they don't have one and explained we can't even go for a walk or anything cuz the carrier is so heavy by itself and then dealing with a 2 year old who sometimes chooses not to walk on his own! So yeah there have been some issues.

Last week they called me and told me the grandma passed away and they were going out of state for the weekend plus monday and tuesday for the funeral. I was under the assumption I would watch the baby on wednesday (yesterday). Well they called me Tuesday night saying they were back and brought a neice back with them who could watch the baby the rest of the week while the wife took exams for school. They said they were out of diapers and needed his blankets ect.. that were at my place and wanted to give me my check for last week. They were supposed to come over that night and get the stuff but called saying they were busy and could come over the next night (last night). Well they never called or came and thats when we realized we were close to being completely out of money and had bills to pay and I needed that check ASAP. I called last night and left a message asking for my check.

Well this morning he calls from work saying he got my message and would try and see if he could drop it off at lunch time but he didn't think he could. He said they would definately come over tonight to get the stuff anyways. So I was really feeling ill this morning and spent most of the morning on the couch. Finally I realized I needed a hot shower to try and feel better. I took it an hour before lunch time and bathed my son at the same time. When I got out of the shower I checked the phone and nobody called. I proceded to get my son ready for the day and realized his brand new package of diapers were missing (my husband bought them last night and used one when he put my son to bed.) I called my husband asking where they were and he said they were right where he left them the previous night right by the changing table in my son's room. I tore the room apart searching and it wasn't there. I searched the whole house (which is tiny by the way) and no diapers to be found. My husband came home helped me search and we were both baffled. I said someone must have come in here and stole them (1/2 joking!). Finally I got very suspicious and realized that my door wasn't locked at all the whole day. To make things stranger they haven't come by to give me my check, get their belongings, plus they haven't returned my phone call. Now my husband and I think they came in here when I was in the shower took the diapers (thinking it was their package) and left since they said they were out of diapers. I don't know what is going on but it is almost too crazy to believbe someone would come in and grab a package of diapers upstairs when I was in the shower. I also think it is strange i don't have my check when they know I need it. Oh and they live in my neighborhood by the way.. But the package of diapers are still missing and my husband says they must have been taken too. Any ideas!?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Re: This is crazy.. My conspiracy theory.

Are the blankets and other items they were going to pick up, gone as well, or just the diapers?

Old 02-23-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

just the diapers. They wouldn't know where the rest of their stuff was. I had some stuff in my basement (just washed) and the rest stashed in a cabinet under the entertainment system. I couldn't imagine them taking everything without even talking to me first too. My only thought is maybe they were desperate for their diapers? I have seriously looked everywhere and they are gone when my husband said they were sitting in my son's room right there plain as day when he put him to bed last night.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

thats strange I wonder if they just dont have the money to pay you or just do not want to pay you so thats where the avoidence comes in and if one of them took the diapers they probably planned on taking their things too but didnt see them.I of course would be more concerned about them entering my home without me knowing it then the diapers or the money they owe me.You could report this to the law I know you cannot prove any of it but they would have it on record just in case they try anything else.Are these people pressed for money? Well most of us are these days lol but ya know what I mean

Old 02-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I'm sure they're avoiding you 'cuz they don't want to pay you and they probably snuck in to get their diapers and stuff -- grabbed what they thought were theirs. And they must've have realized the diapers were the wrong size and wouldn't fit their kid and don't dare admit it.

I imagine you probably didn't have a contract with them, but if all else fails send them a letter (certified return receipt) asking for payment if phone calls don't work. You're probably not going to get your money. One of the reasons I HATED babysitting as a teenager -- I got stiffed a couple of times, but at least when they'd call around and ask if I could babysit again, I could get satisfaction out of saying sorry, I didn't get paid last time.

And even if it sounds silly, you should probably call the police and file a report and keep your doors locked even if you live in a small town. 99% chance that the parents took the diapers, but who knows -- could've been someone else. A coworker once had her purse stolen shortly after she came home from work -- she just went into the bedroom to change out of her work clothes, came back and her wallet was gone.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Well I called them again. I left another message. The wife called me this morning saying she would bring over my check. She dropped it off and said she would get the baby's things later. I asked if they dropped by yesterday and she said no, that they didn't get home until work and school until 8:00. I dropped by their house at 9:00 and nobody came to the door even though the lights were on. I didn't say anything though. I don't understand this total lack of communication that has been going on and why they keep putting off grabbing the baby's things because they acted like they REALLY needed all his things earlier this week. I now have all of his things on the couch but I guess she didn't have time to grab them when she brought over my check finally. I guess I cannot accuse anyone of something without proof but I can't help but wonder what happened to that big package of diapers! I am locking my door all the time now. Even when I am home. Because if someone really did come in and take them I was here! And I think my husband also forgot to lock the door when we went to bed the night before. I only slept from about 2 to 6 something but I suppose during those 4 hours when we were sleeping someone could have snuck in? I don't know but this really freaks me out!

Last edited by besafe20; 02-24-2006 at 12:18 PM.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

I just think it is weird that they can usually find the time to drop by during the day, but when you need your check they just can't seem to get away. Maybe the neice came in a took the diapers.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

So, are you done babysitting for them or is the niece just there for the week? At least you got paid -- check didn't bounce did it? Maybe they're just completely flakey and leave it at that. I'd still lock the doors. I do anyway when I'm home alone with DS. I just feel safer. And still call the police and file a report. Maybe there's someone walking into houses and swiping stuff. My inlaws neighbors had someone steal a couple pairs of her husband's pants over the holidays. Nothing else was missing, just some pants. People are weird!

Old 02-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Your right people are weird! I know that there have been break-ins in this neighborhood. I really like our little neighborhood but once you drive out of the complex onto the road it is ghetto! So I know that people from outside of where we live have come into the complex going through dumpsters and other weird things. I mean I had a couple jewlery boxes right on my dresser and they are still there! Why come into someone's house and take a package of diapers!?! Do you think the police would totally laugh at me?

I have no clue if I am still babysitting for them. They have just been weird lately. I thought since they wanted to come get the baby's things and the neice was there it was an excuse to lead up to "we don't need you anymore."
Rouge- omg your post made me laugh.. I was telling my husband the same thing.
I said "he usually finds time to stop by every other day but now that I need him to he can't?"

Old 02-27-2006, 02:25 AM   #10
(female)

LM80 HB User

If I were you, I would not make a police report. You have no concrete proof that someone stole the diapers.
Even though you searched up and down for them they might still be somewhere in your house. I can not count how many times the strangest things have disappeared in my house and I never found them again!
It is like when the washer eats your socks and you are left with a bunch of mismatched socks. No one stole the socks...they just disappeared mysteriously.
The important thing is that you got your paycheck. I would just take your money and remember in the future to be more wary of these people.
And of course always remember to lock your door. Even the quietest neighborhoods get burgalized.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Yup thats what I have been trying to tell myself. That I have lost itmes in the past I have never seen again. Only thing is that this time around the item isn't small. A large package of 60 diapers? How can it just disappear! My toddler doesn't even bother trying to move those cause they are too big for him. It is just so strange. Thanks for the advice it will be amazing if I ever see them again but I don't think I will.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

this is very strange. first off yes i think they are trying to get out of paying for the babysitting you have already done and thats why they wanted all of his things back, i once had to do that at a job i worked admin there and my boss wasnt paying me so i had to play it nice on what i thought would be my last day just so i could get my things out of the office that were mine. So thats what i figure. a few questions though...are they well off? did they always pay u on time b4? and why were they insisting to pay u in full all of a sudden that week? to me it was because of not needing yiou anymore. were they an older/younger couple? now for the diapers i am not sure. i mean how would they know ud be in the shower at that exact time? while it does seem suspicious i dont know about that one because would they not have taken their childs items with them at that time too?

Old 02-28-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

She said the child's items were put up and would be hard to find. Also, the door was unlocked at other times besides her shower.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Besafe- so weird, and getting weirder by the minute. I know you need the income, but I would end this ASAP! There are other kiddies out there that need babysitting that don't have crazy parents. Wether or not they stole the diapers ( I think they did) I woiuld feel unsafe about it, and keep your doors locked all the time!

Old 03-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

I say you go in their house and take them back!
Or stop by un announced to bring them their things and see what you find.

Last edited by jenn.e; 03-01-2006 at 01:41 PM.

Closed Thread