It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User
I'm having a hard time letting go...

I don't know if anybody else has this problem and I'm posting this issue in here because it's "my" parenting issue.

I have a hard time letting my son's baby stuff go... He's now in college and I have all of his baby stuff including all his clothes, shoes, hats, gloves, etc. from birth up until he's 5 years old. I have his crib set including the rocking chair, I have his baby blankie, favorite stuff animals, favorite toys, baby Nike shoes, I'd say 85% of his baby stuff I still have. I even have all the little artworks from pre-school that he'd done, even his books and videos and yep, even Barney videos! LOL Is this common? Does anybody else have this issue of letting go of your precious baby's "things". I love my son so much and he's my world and this is one part of me I don't understand. My friends and families have made comments on all the baby stuff I still have and my son is a grown young man!

Please tell me it's common and I'm not going sentimentally bonkers. Where you finally able to let go? If so, what and how did you do it?

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Re: I'm having a hard time letting go...

I'm no parent...I'm a college student, but I know my mom has kept my baby clothes as well as my crib. I swear, I don't know why she' want to remember those times because I was a little hellcat when I was young...oh well.

You aren't going crazy, especially if your son is an only child. I think all parents have a hard time letting their child go...unless, of course, the kid drove their parents nuts and they were glad to see Junior off to college or the military.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Darkstranger,

Thank you for your post. You're such a receptive child. You're right, he's my one and only... Your Mom loves you more than anything in this world and I understand how she feels. It doesn't matter if you were a hellcat or the sweetest thing next to chocolate, you are loved.

Thank you again.
Big hugs!

Old 02-27-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
(female)

LM80 HB User
Smile Re: I'm having a hard time letting go...

It is definitely normal. Even after our children grow up, they are still our little babies and they always will be.
My children are still young but, a lot of the women in our family (mother-in-law, aunts, etc.) kept loads of stuff from when their kids were little. In exchange they got handed down to my children.
I really love it!!! My daughters wear sweaters and have blankets from when my husband was a baby. They slept in a hundred year old cradle at their grandma's house that a great grandfather had handmade. Their favorite stuffed teddies are 30-40-50 years old. It is just so charming. A precious family heirloom.
I say keep the stuff and pass it down to other babies in your family. You might be a grandma some day and it would be so lovely to have all this baby stuff at your house for your grandchildren.
Keep the artwork and school stuff that your son did and make up a scrapbook. I am sure his future wife and children would love to look through it someday.
Memories are truly precious

Old 02-28-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
(female)

Deena_05 HB User

My mom is the same way. She literally has everything I did through the years, still has stuff of mine, even my old 45 record player, haha. I'm in college now, and wow, I'm one of two children, but I was her first born, and she's constantly saying "I remember when you were a baby!" and all that, she told me that all the time you're told that time flies and you're like oh yeah right, and then all of the sudden, boom, your kids are driving a car, graduating high school etc. I make fun of her all the time for being like that and she's always telling me I'll never know until I'm a mother. I guess so! You're not weird to want to remember your kids younger years...it's like you never know what you have until it's gone kind of thing. It's not like you're holding onto the past, they're just memories! You're totally normal. I do the same thing with myself, I still have online chats and stuff from years and years ago, haha.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

I have the same problem my attic is full of my children's things..My boys are ages 14 and soon to be 8..I have everything from birth till now..I mean school work and clothing which are out dated by now..Maybe i'm afraid of letting go of my babies and which they will always be to me..I can't even think of college time, they grow up just to fast..My 14 has pick his colleges out since he was 12 and it's in another state..

Old 03-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daystar91
I have the same problem my attic is full of my children's things..My boys are ages 14 and soon to be 8..I have everything from birth till now..I mean school work and clothing which are out dated by now..Maybe i'm afraid of letting go of my babies and which they will always be to me..I can't even think of college time, they grow up just to fast..My 14 has pick his colleges out since he was 12 and it's in another state..
Thank you for everybody's responses... I feel better.

I learned that parents, especially Mothers hang on to their children's things because they love their children so much, for me, more than my life. When I look at certain outfits or certain shoes, I think about this precious little boy who once fit into them, running around, playing, laughing with his blonde, curly hair tumbling around his baby face.

Daystar, it's hard when you your baby goes off to college. Mine is not too far, but he's too far for me... he still comes home on weekends and I get to spoil him with home made food, sometimes doing things together, or just haning out and talking about whatever he wants. I'm still adjusting to him in college, but it gets better everyday. I know he still calls to ask me for money. LOL Our babies will always be our babies.

I never knew what love at first sight is until I saw my son for the first time.

{{BIG HUGS}}

Old 03-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi there, your last words made me cry I know too well how fast time goes , my eldest boy is now 20 yrs old. My other 2 children are 2 and a half and 16 months. I find myself sometimes panicking as I know how fast time goes and I dont want my babies to grow up I feel like I am constantly trying to hold onto time if that makes sense LOL Make it stand still in other words. All I can say to all young mothers is cherish every single moment because 20 yrs goes past in an absolute heart beat !! You arent abnormal for feeling the way you do, you are just a mummy

Old 03-24-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
(female)

dwallech HB User

HI,
I kept some of my boys things and wished I had kept more. The things they cherish most seem to be the photoalbums for each one of them. They are very precious and I still have them. The boys are 34 and 27 and they love to come and dig out the albums. It might seem odd to other people but you can never get those things back but can pass them on as when they get older they will become cherished treasures!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
(female)

Faythey HB User

I wouldnt throw a thing away!

My mom didnt really keep a lot of the more tangible items from my childhood. I have about 3 or 4 baby outfits, but only because I dressed my dolls with them. I wish there was a way I could get some of my old outfits and artwork and stuff like that back, but there just isnt a way.

Closed Thread