It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #1
(female)

Copsgrl8 HB User
Red face Help !!!

I need help please !!!

My daughter (she is 4) has to go for a rather invasive procedure. She has to have a VCUG. For those that don't know they insert a catheter to fill her bladder to take Xrays. She has had repeated UTI's.

How do I explain this to her? And I am terrified on how she will act during the test. She had it done once before when she was 13 months old but of course she doesn't remember.
I don't wanna scare her but I do wanna prepare her.

Any help/ideas...PLEASE

Terri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
(female)

antrought HB User
Re: Help !!!

Hello,

My suggestion is talk to the doctor/nurse who will perform the procedure. Most of the time they do not like it when parents talk to them about it because it "could" get them all worked up. I am sure they have performed this procedure to many 4 year olds so they know how to prep them for it. But, if they said it is ok for you to mention something to her, ask for some suggestions on what to say.

I felt the same way when my daughter had to get a shot of anesthisia in her gums to extract a tooth when she was 4, I know its not the same thing, but I was really worried about her receiving the shot. The orthodontist suggest that I do not say anything because they know how to prep her for it. I was in the room when they did it and she was fine. I didn't realize how I how much I was over stressing about it, but she took it like a champ. She also had to have an IV and series of shots, which she still takes shots up to til this day, twice a day. She was diagnosed with diabetes at age 8. She is the strongest lil girl I know and sometimes we over look that.

Last edited by antrought; 03-02-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

nikki2006 HB User
Re: Help !!!

hi there,

i may not be of much help as i havent had to go through this but this is just a thought... perhaps instead of trying to prepare her for the actual procedure, just let her know say the night before, " tomrrow we're going to see the dr" or "tomorrow we're going to the hospital" if she asks why, tell her the truth, that they need to check and make sure that everythings working good, then just tell her you will be there with her and she doesnt need to be scared..perhaps "dont worry, ill be there"!

telling her the day or night before will give her some time to process and get used to the idea, and then once you get there, the dr will explain the rest, you can just then while your there, give her ur reasurance.. she will be fine, often kids are way better at handling these things than we are! try not to stress

Closed Thread