It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
(female)

sevans929 HB User
Eating too much?

I have a set of newborn identical twin girls... they are 1 week old. My one girl eats about 2 oz of breastmilk every 2 1/2 to 3 hours (she is 5 1/2 lbs), and my other girl who is still in the hosptial in the NICU where she is on a feeding schedule, eats 1 oz of breastmilk every 3 hours (she is 3 lbs 11 oz). My question is: is my bigger girl eating too much? I know that you are supposed to feed a newborn on demand, but to me it just seems like she is taking too much milk at one time (more than twice what her sister is eating), and I'm concerned that I might not be able to keep up with her demands (as far as breastfeeding and pumping) if she keeps progressing at this rate. I might expect a bigger baby (maybe 7 or 8 lbs) to eat that much, but a 5 lb baby? She goes to the pediatrician next Wednesday for a check-up and I will ask about her eating habits then, but I just wanted to get some opinions before that. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 03-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
(female)

marissamm HB User
Re: Eating too much?

hi i breast fed my baby well my baby is now 14 but she ate all the time that is a normal feeding for a baby, it will seem like thats all you do is nurse,and don't forget she is small. god bless you and your babies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

My DS ate all the time. We have had no problems. I am sure it's prob. difficult if you have to pump. I think that after a bit you will get a good routine going. The more you feed/pump the more milk you will produce. You just may feel like a milk factory for awhile. I'm sure it will even be more difficult when your other baby comes home. Do you have access to a lactation consultant for support? I know BFing twins can be extremely challening my cousin did it for a year. She said that's all she did at first was feed.

Good for you to take this on!! I think you are an amazing mom for BFing two at one time.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I agree with Rouge- what an amazing mom you are to nurse two babies! I think it's perfectly normal to eat that much, and you can't really go by their size. They are little eating machines! You will be able to make more milk the more you use what you've got, so just hang in there, also, there is an infant care board here, check it out, there are so many mommies of newborns on there! Good luck!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
(female)

sevans929 HB User

Thank you everyone. I guess she's eating as much as she needs. She doesn't spit up, so I know she's not taking too much. I guess I'm just turning into a neurotic mommy... lol.

My little one hasn't nursed at all since she was born (I always pumped for her because she is so small and cannot latch on correctly (she was on a feeding tube until the other day. But even if she can't feed directly from my breast, I still want her to have breastmilk because it is best for the baby). My bigger baby had trouble learning to latch correctly, and she lost a bit of weight after she came home from the hospital, so I started pumping for her, too, so that I would know exactly how much she ate each day. She's only feeding from my breast once or twice during the day now, but I'm hoping to have her feed from me more often as she gets bigger and learns to latch correctly. I do have a lactation consultant who I've talked to once or twice. She gave me good advice on getting my bigger baby to latch on, but we both (me and the baby) got frustrated pretty easily, so I pump for now until we get into a good routine. I was only pumping when I became engorged, and the LC suggested that I pump more often and I will eventually get more milk. I pump every 2 hours now, and I'm starting to produce more milk since I started pumping more often. Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Sevans- just a note- the longer you use bottles, the less of a chance of the baby accepting the breast in the future, because bottles are so much easier for them. I must be so hard to go back and forth to the hospital, so I completely understand, I just wanted to let you know. Good luck , and I hope the other little one comes home very soon!!!!

Closed Thread