It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
question for the parents concerning cats

Hello all. There is a cat that has been hanging around the neighborhood for the past few days. He has a yellow collar and is the sweetest thing. He lets anybody hold him,pet him ect.. When I first saw him I noticed he was trying to get into everyone's houses. I thought he must be lost and hungry or something so I took him in and got some cat food from the neighbor. He was more then happy to run in my house and make himself comfortable. I waited until all the neighbor's kids were inside before I let him back out. (They were giving him so much attention and playing with him all day long I thought maybe that was the reason he didn't leave.) Well he went out and I didn't see him again for a couple days so I figured he went home. Well today my neighbor's kid found him again and was holding him/playing with him ect.. He seemed to remember me and quickly came and sat on my lap. He followed my son and I around the neighborhood and came back to my house. He ran in as soon as I opened the door and ate some cat food, then left again. I am wondering if this cat belongs to someone or what? Do cats normally do that? Run into people's houses? Today he was trying to get into my neighbor's houses as well. I think he is used to kids because he lets my toddler pet him and everything and is very friendly towards him. So any ideas on what I should do? Also I am assuming he has had all his shots since he wears a collar and doesn't look like a stray. Do cats carry diseases that can harm people? Just wondering thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Re: question for the parents concerning cats

Besafe- Def. don't assume he has all his shots because he has a collar. He's probably someone's cat if there's a collar though. Maybe he just likes the attention and the food. If you feed it, it will come!!!! Cats can certainly carry diseases, so be careful around your little one.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

It's not entirely normal for a cat to do this, owned or not, but there are always exceptions. There used to be a cat (belonged to an irresponsible owner) that would go right into my grandma's house, loved being petted, would jump into anyone's lap if it was not already occupied, and would follow you anywhere. He was one of the sweetest cats I've ever met. Of course, if you feed cats, feral or not, they will learn to come back to you when they are hungry.

If you are concerned about diseases the cat may have, as DizzyGirl said, do not assume this cat has all of his shots just because he has a collar on.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

It sounds to me like this cat is/was someone's pet. Usually feral (wild) cats will come for the food, but that is usually the extent of it. Wild cats tend to be almost scared of people, they will come for food, but if you go to touch the cat or even go too close to the cat, it will run away.

Like others have said, don't assume that it is current on its shots. If anything, get in touch with your local vet, police department, animal control unit........anything you can think of to see if anyone has reported this cat as missing. If nothing turns up, you could always take the cat to a shelter or take it in yourself, if you prefer. Both of my cats were strays. One I got as a kitten, so she was never like a typical wild cat. The other was about a year old when I took him in. He was definately someone's cat up until that point. But, after trying unsuccessfully to find out who he belonged to, I took him in. If you or anyone else decide to take this cat in, just be sure to take him to the vet for a complete checkup and for shots.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Thanks guys. I haven't seen the cat around since I last posted. I was getting worried about what I might have to do. I didn't want to have to call the humane society or animal control, because if he still had a home with someone I wouldn't want him taken away. I also would never want the cat to be put to sleep, which I heard happens all the time when they pick up strays ect.. I would have kept him but I am allergic to cats. Not terribly allergic but enough where I would have to vacume everyday and not have the cat near my face. He was so cute though! I guess the problem is solved then (for now). I guess I may see him again if he lives in the neighborhood. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

hi i just wanted to say that in sept this yr my cat never came home and for months i was devasted he was my baby!!! we posted signs check the web everything...amazingly we got a call 3 mths later someone had turned him into the pound BUT when we took him to the vet because we thought he had been roaming all this time the vet said there was no way,that someone had to have taken him in and to be honest it ticked me off only because i had imagined him dead!! i mean its great that he was fed and stuff but he also had a very visible tatoo in his ear as well! so if he comes back pls take the time out to call ur local spca or pound and report him or ask if anyones called with that des****tion.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

My guess is if he doesn't hesitate to run into your house and has a collar he is a house cat and maybe got out and wandered off. You say it's a him, well he probably picked up a scnet of a female and wandered. Now that you have fed him he will probably stick around until he gets the urge to wander again. Looks like you got yourself a new pet!

Old 03-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
(female)

TracyS42 HB User

I'm surprised you didnt just staple a note to his collar asking who he belongs to etc and giving your phn number, for a reply call....just out of curiosity.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyS42
I'm surprised you didnt just staple a note to his collar asking who he belongs to etc and giving your phn number, for a reply call....just out of curiosity.
Honestly, I never would have thought of that either!

Closed Thread