Re: Teenagers pulling off stupid stunts what to do as a parent....
At the very, very least...he took the ink out of the pen first. Heaven knows, he probably would have gotten himself sick off it.
Guys in high school as well as college like to do crazy things to show that they aren't cowards when they are presented with a challenge from their buddies. My ex and his friends would mix together foods and drinks at lunch and eat the mixtures...for some reason, young males seem to enjoy tormenting themselves.
I would probably take your son the the doctor to make sure that the pen he ate will not cause any internal problems; I don't know if it would get lodged in his intestine or what. I don't know how in the world he managed to swallow a pen without choking on it, but it would be best to find out if it will pose a threat to him.
And believe me when I say teenage boys do some crazy stuff...some guys I knew during my sophomore year dared one of their buddies to eat the uterus of an earthworm (biology dissections) for nothing, and he did it...and violently vomited shortly after lunch. As the saying goes, "Boys will be boys".