It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
3 y old does not want to study

At 3 y old she can tell all numbers and alphabet letters but don't recognize them, she also does not want to draw.
She is going to daycare were they supposedly doing stuff and provider said that they are studying and sometimes gave projects but I don't see much result lately and afraid that she won't be prepaired for school.
I myself work full time and too busy to do much with her but I am open to suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User
Re: 3 y old does not want to study

First of all, I think it's way to early to worry about this. Many children go into kindergarten without being able to recognize letters. I know this because I am a former teacher and I also help out frequently in my daughter's kinder class. I have two children ages 5 and 3 and they did know letters and sounds at 3, but it wasn't something I emphasized. Some are interested in it early on, others not, I just happened to have ones that were. Not something I would worry about though.

If you are really concerned about this I do know of a great video that my 3 year old watched at 2 that taught her all letters and sounds, even at that age. I recommended it to my daughter's kinder teacher to use with those that are having difficulty and she is now using it. I just realized that I'm not supposed to mention that video by name, am I? If someone can tell me how specific I can be, please let me know. It is wonderful and I would love to pass it along without breaking any rules.

But again, three is way to young to be overly concerned about this. You'll be amazed what she will learn in the two whole years she has before she starts real school. Think about what she has learned just in the past year? Rest assured, she'll be ready.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User

I agree... she'll be fine, I don't think you need to push too hard or expect her to have the patience to sit and learn them. At that age, children often learn without realizing they're learning....so videos, maybe childrens music playing in the backround, etc. Also, make it a non learning experience...just something to discuss when in the car, or when you see something while you're shopping etc.

I also know of a couple really great books, but also dont know if they can be mentioned...but they are by one author, who has done extensive studies into boys and girls, and how their brains work so very differently, and ways to help each gender flourish emotionally and academically...I really enjoy the books!!

Kindergarten used to be where the kids learned the basics... now they push as if they must know them before K... I think schools that push like that are the bigger obstacle, than a 3yr old who doesn't want to sit and book learn... she will, eventually!!

Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Hon, I didn't want to study too when I was 3. LOL

Relax, I have a son who's an honor student and speaks 6 languages fluently and now in college... is this your first?

At that age, all my son wanted to do is play... however, when my son was in elementary school, the principal wanted to skip him two to three grades, because he is that smart... I only allowed 1 grade skip because of his emotional state... he may be "book smart", but emotionally, he's still young.

With that said, allow your baby to enjoy her childhood... don't fret about what she's not learning, she will learn them in time.

I'll give you a piece of my secret that I did with my son. Okay, when he was at that age, whenever we're driving down the store, I'd point "blue car". By saying that, he learned "a" color and "a" noun. See! Then I'd point at a "red ball", "a yellow house", "a red firetruck" then pretty soon, we were playing that game all the time. Then for the alphabet, I bought a cassette (cd was too new back then LOL) and it had children singing the alphabet and I'd play that tape at home, in the car, at grandma's house, and pretty soon, he was singing them. LOL for numbers, I'd sing songs like I have two hands and ten fingers and ten toes, then I'd count my son's fingers and toes, in the tune of happy birthday to you. HAHAHA! But he learned his numbers. Next thing I knew, he was counting Cheerios on the dining table and I'd praise him for knowing his numbers... then we'd do the "dance", when he'd done something good. We had this "chicken style" dance, you have to make one up for you & your daughter. The sillier, the better! LMAO! Kids love silliness and it's fun.

Don't sit your daughter down to study, make it fun... I'm a single mother and at one point, I had a full time job and going thru grad school and caring for my 4 year old baby... I know what it's like to be busy and stressed.

I hope I helped you a bit with some ideas. Good luck and let us know your progress.

Last edited by Fabat40; 03-14-2006 at 11:09 PM.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Thank you for your advices. I was not prepaired for school, just happened that my mother had to study in different city and I lived with my grandma who could not teach me anything. Than my mother had a terrible time when I went to first grade and all teachers pointed out that I could of study much better and fault is that I never studied with somebody before. I've heard from many people that thanks to studying before school kids doing good at school.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I agree dont worry too much most 3 year olds do not have a big enough attention span to actualy study.My 2 year old (3 in april) will say the ABC's with me and count to 10 but not every single day sometimes we get half way through the alphabet and he will start to play or walk off but I expect this and am happy with the little he does try.I have a 9 year old daughter who rarely would say the ABC's or anything other then play and she is as smart as can be with highest honors.I am sure your child will do great you sound like a great mother

Old 03-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
(female)

TracyS42 HB User

I wouldnt push anything at all...just tell her a bedtime story every night before bed, sing her some songs...enjoy your time together....and THAT alone will encourage her wish to read and learn more later on. Let childcare/kindy/school take care of the rest.

Closed Thread