It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User
Son and Anxiety Issues

For the past 2 weeks, my son has been upset about going to school - he says he misses me - he's in 5th grade, and I'm surprised he's never had an issue with separation since preschool!

My mom passed away in October and he originally said he had been thinking about her and worrying about me - I reminded him that she was very ill, and I'm healthy.

All of us (my husband and I and the teacher and principal) have asked him if he's had trouble with anyone at school, etc., and he keeps saying no.

Once he's at school he's fine according to his teacher and the counselor.

He saw the pediatrician yesterday, and she explained to him that they are normal feelings he's having.

Any similar stories would be greatly appreciated so I know I'm not alone!

thanks!

Supermom3

Old 03-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

angelique5 HB User
Re: Son and Anxiety Issues

Hi there... while my story's not exactly the same...I think I have one that relates to yours...

Last March, almost a year ago now... I, very unexpectedly, had a stroke. Suddenly I was hospitalized, only a couple days though, but found out the stroke was due to a hole in my heart that had NEVER been detected during my life (I was 32), and I'd have to be hospitalized again to have the hole in my heart "patched". Again, only a couple days, because thankfully it was done with cathetarization, rather than open heart surgery...

I have 6 children... my older ones understood well enough, and didn't stress too much... my younger ones didn't really get it, so they didn't stress too much... but my son Kyle...he was 10, and in the 5th grade at the time... and it just seemed to be that in between age that knew something was serious, but couldn't understand "how" serious??

His grades started to fall....and he began to studder... and a few times, he went off to school crying for no apparent reason... badly enough that the nurses office called me. He even did that once in the fall, when he started middle school (6th) and I was sooooo worried for him, cause the kids in MS aren't tolerant of that kind of thing...

I didn't really have a solution, but I'd say now would be a great time to spend some quality one on one time with him. If he's concerned about "mom" more than dad... do some mother/son activities... to reassure him that you're ok, and that you love him. Maybe this was his first realization of how fragile life is....that can be scary!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User
Re: Son and Anxiety Issues

Dear Angelique5,

thanks so much for your story - it really helped!!!

supermom3

Closed Thread