It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
(male)

mrgizzmoe HB User
my baby girl

my baby girl named katrina was born on march 11 06 . she is doing great she is only a little over a week old. any advise on makeing sure the mom is as happy as the baby

thanks

Old 03-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
(female)

lilmsmagic HB User
Re: my baby girl

first off, congratulations!!!! This is a wonderful time. But it can also be very overwhelming for the mother. Take part in this. Allow her to sleep some during the night(take turns getting up with her, if bottle feeding), Volunteer to change diapers, make bottles(if bottle feeding), Let her go take a long bath or shower while you tend to her. Tell her how good she looks(even if she doesnt) tell her how proud you are of her, how great of a job she is doing, tell her she's an awesome mom, Give her attention too and not just that beautiful baby. Shes gonna be upset with her body probably. tell her how well she's shaping up. theres just so much you can do, I could never list it all. You will only have this day ONE time, please enjoy it, dont take it for granted. It may seem sooo long, but you'll look back one day and wonder where all the time went. Have NO regrets!!! and Good Luck. If you ever have any questions these people on here are here for you. Just ask. They are more then willing to help. They have helped me with so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

When I 1st wrote this I thought I was writing to a woman. So I guess you could just pass these words along.
Congrats!

Like magic said, take turns in the night getting the baby. Pump milk if you're nursing so that your hubby can help with some feedings and you can get much needed sleep. We would take 4 hour shifts at night. That way the other person knew they could get atleast 4 straight hours of sleep. It's not a lot, but it's better than nothing.

Remember that you are human and it is normal to get upset with the little one. If you feel yourself getting stressed out and ready to snap, put the baby in the crib and walk away for a minute. It may sound scary, but it's most likely to happen (no sleep, screaming child, everything different than it used to be, it can be very rough at times) Your baby will be fine if they are crying for a few minutes. I always remember that no baby every exploded from crying for a few minutes (though it seems like they might )

Get out of the house EVERY DAY without the baby. I know this is very hard in the beginning, but you really need to do it. Even if it's just a walk around the block or a quick trip to the store. It doesn't mean you don't love your baby to feel the need to get out and away. It's really important for your mental health.

Ask for help! Don't try to do everything yourself. Take any help that is offered. And don't worry about your house being messy for a while. Make friends with other new moms, thery won't mind your house being messy

The most important thing is taking care of you and the baby. Everything else can wait for a while.

And like the other poster said, savor the quiet times when you are rocking in the chair feeding your little baby. They do not stay little for very long.

Last edited by Kiera1595; 03-20-2006 at 05:48 AM.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

You may already have done this, but I bought my wife a gift each time she had a baby. Something useful - such as body lotions, massage appointments - would probably be appreciated. But I'm sure she'd also like jewelry.

The other posters had great advice, so I back up what they say about participating. Some of my happiest memories of my two boys being babies are of those middle of the night times when my wife was sleeping and I was with our infants. With our first boy, I remember those 2 a.m. bottle feedings that sometimes lasted 45 minutes while he slowly sucked down 4 ounces of milk. He'd fall asleep sometimes in the middle, but always woke up again to finish. I'd listen to music softly and hold him close. It's hard to believe that was six years ago.

My second one liked to sleep on me. We'd lie on the den couch together late at night while my wife and our older boy slept upstairs. I'd usually try to stay awake, because my wife was scared he'd fall off the couch if I wasn't careful. But one time, I woke up with him sleeping peacefully on my stomach and was shocked to see 4 hours had gone by!

It only gets more fun (and challenging) as they grow, so enjoy the early times as much as you can. The more you put in, the more you'll get out of fatherhood. My two boys and I are as close as can be (and they're just as close to me as to my wife), and I really think all the time I spent giving them baths, feeding them and holding them when they were little babies contributes to this.

Congratulations.

Last edited by danimal15; 03-20-2006 at 10:58 PM.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
(male)

mrgizzmoe HB User

thanks for the thoughts all are vey good. i have been the one getting up for the past few nights and boefore that we do it together. i am really enjoyinh it but lookin forwar to it ending. next stage please. thanks again

Old 04-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
(female)

Marisa7 HB User

congrats!! I whish my little one was that age again its only been 2 months I just cant believe it well you will be a great mommy and to even be a happier mommy well this worked for me..

when ever someone wants to bring you food.. let them bring you whatever you want..

make people come visit you( if you want visitors, ( I didnt) and if you need them to stop and get something tell them

take a shower everday and get dressed ( even if you are gonna stay home )

eat when you baby eats or drink something at least..

sleep or nap when your baby does..

and just enjoy this time hold them now because pretty soon you wont be able to..

Baby Jesse Gilbert
Born February 17, 2006
12:14 pm
7 pounds 10 ounces 21 inches

Closed Thread